Weight loss strategy - how to use TR

Haha. I found this to be very true also. It’s almost like the key is to just make eating a tiny bit less convenient, just enough to offset those cravings that are masquerading as real hunger.

If you want long lasting weight loss with research backed health benefits I highly recommend reading “The Longevity Diet” by Dr. Valter Longo. Best book I have read regarding dietary needs for a healthy, long life.

Just not sure how you would incorporate the fasting into training. In your situation though it seems you could do some fasts before you get back into proper training.

Good luck!

Well done on your weight loss.

Its not a TR shifting weight…….

I highly recommend using a calorie counter, MyFitnessPal, and make your self accountable. How much do you weigh?

Say your 99kgs x 12, 1180cals, that would lose you roughly and not an exact science 1-2kg per week. Using MyFitnessPal, track everything you eat, eating low cal is not difficult. You will have cheat days, but instead of eating 6 cookies, eat 4, next time, 3, time after that 2.

However 1000cal diet may not be sustainable for you. That depends on your work, days, training, etc. And certainly not if your trying to race as well.

It needs to be a lifestyle not a Diet.

1 Like

I agree with the “it’s a lifestyle, not a diet” part but a 1K deficit is a diet. For a normale male that’s more then half then you would actually need. That’s a lot. - 500 would be way more sustainable and healthy.

4 Likes

Yes. I’ve noticed a huge difference ever since I started bringing in a lot of calories per hour on the bike.

2 Likes

100% agree, no doubt!

I think the better strategy would be to just eat one plate and walk away; don’t allow yourself the ability to eat more. I know, easier said than done.

But if you go through all of that plan and then start cycling again, what’s to make the weight gain not reappear when you start burning lots of calories? Maybe you can try to address the overeating after the turbo sessions first, and see if you can get back on track while still cycling.

I’ve found that if I don’t adequately fuel my workouts then I get the ravenous appetite.

Just remember, you don’t lose weight on the bike. Weight loss happens in the kitchen. If you’re very obese you can probably maintain a higher caloric deficit but if you’re relatively fit and just need to hone I’d limit the deficit to 500 kcal or less. Utilizing this strategy I’ve gone from 180->165# and ftp from 214->281 over the course of ssb mv 1/2 and first half of GB mv.

2 Likes

I used 500 calorie deficit from food, and then aimed for 500 calories from exercise, to give me the 1,000 deficit. It worked for me, and generally hit the kg/ 2lb a week.

However, I’m trying to drop a bit I put on during family holidays/ vacations, and am going for 15% deficit this time which seems a little more sustainable at my current weight mid 70kg’s weight. 500 calories was definitely doable when I was heavier though.

Most experts agree 2# is probably “safe”. How did your training go during that period? Gain power? Rides felt good? Etc?

Well I took breaks from being in deficit, as I did it in steps and/or I adjusted my target down. After newbie structured training gains, during deficits FTP was static or slow to increase as I said earlier. I was happy enough with holding though. I wasn’t, and this season am not racing, so I’m happy to have the power to weight gains over power gains (if I can’t do both).

This is just something I’ve been Struggling with as well. Lately I’m losing weight very consistently and finding i have amazing energy for the sweet spot base low volume plans. Which is much lower in volume (50% about) than what i did this past summer. What I’m doing differently food wise is not eating breakfast&lunch on mon, weds, and Friday. I eat a slightly large dinner on those days(1200 calories). Then on tues thurs and Saturday i get my workout done after breakfast in the mornings. I count my calories with my fitness pal. Eating maybe 500 calories more than the app recommends (2500 cals plus workout calories is what the app recommends). Which is usually what it takes to satisfy me. I take my workouts seriously and use gels or bananas as needed. Consistency is so important
Thus far I’m losing 0.5 lbs per week and very happy with it. Ftp increased 1.4% at the end of ssbiiLV and I’m starting up general build lv now with the same diet plan in mind. . But we’ll see how it goes.
P.s.
I find it very motivating to track my weight daily and carefully recording in excel with a 7 day running average

1 Like

I have not but I would suggest the following website to help you set up a program to lose fat

Here is the article

I have lost 5.5 kg (12 ish pounds) over 6 weeks after setting up a diet on the basis of this site’s recommendations. No program is going to burn the fat off unless you make sure your diet is in order.

We also have a weight loss accountability thread if you want some extra motivation and/or TR member support. You can find that here