Weight loss accountability buddy or thread discussion

I hope i dont mess up the spreadsheet trying to add myself

That’s me on thanks. See you all on a week.

1 Like

Weekly check in! Forgot the past 2 weeks!!!

Down 1 kg (2 lbs) with a 10 day rolling average.

The past week or so, I’ve not been strict in tracking intake. Been trying to go by “feel” but also, I’ve been lazy! Today i’ll tighten up but since things have been humming along, I am not too fussed.

My walks have been slowly increasing in time and length. Even jogging a bit. I’m hoping to start adding in TR workouts this week more formally as I think I’ve learned the right balance of intensity and diet to be sustainable. Really looking forward to it

Good luck to everyone this week!

5 Likes

Ive managed to lose a little bit more this last week. Ive still got a long way to go. Im enjoying support.

4 Likes

Down a couple kgs in the past 3 weeks or so.

During parental leave I took the opportunity to quit soda pop and candy.

And drink lots of coffee. Caffeinated in the mornings and decaf in the afternoons. That really helped with the cravings.

I now have about 12kg left to lose by April.

2 Likes

That’s where I’m at now, I’ve hit my target weight/bf goals (128-130lbs, 22-23% bf) after slowly coming down from 140lbs and 25-26% bf, and now I’m stuck trying to figure out what’s next! The winter weather is already creeping in, and until we get a significant snowfall I won’t be able to start nordic skiing and have something to replace all of the racing and riding I’ve been doing over the summer and fall (and not really into long z2 rides on the trainer!) :sweat_smile: :worried:

1 Like

Been trying to keep on top of my annual weight gain season with some success so far.

I’m giving the Racing Weight DQS thin a go, basically improving diet quality rather than tracking macros/cals to see if that works for me.

1 Like

I have lost about 15 kg, 10 years ago when I started cycling, although that was mostly from the diet. That brought me from a bit overweight, say 30% bf to healthy range of low 20% bf. I was counting calories, doing intermitted fasting, fasted rides, low-carb, weight lifting, protein shakes.
This all worked and at around 20% bf I was not really at optimal cycling weight, but was happy with the result, further fat loss seemed to be stalling and going to the gym so concentrating also on gains.

Over the years cycling has gone with ups and downs, this is an overview of my TSS

By the time I started cycling again during lock downs, my weight had slowly gone up again and I was almost where I started. Exercise alone does not make you loose weight, it does put you in a mindset that makes it easier to maintain your weight. I knew that to start loosing weight again I had to do something with my diet. But I kept postponing it.

Until 4 months ago, came back from summer vacation, I was left to only the largest cloth sizes in my wardrobe that I could still fit comfortably in and decided that now was time for action again. I had done a lot of reading through the years on nutrition and different types of dieting, but this time I want to do it differently: Whatever I do must be sustainable. That means there will be no on/off switch at least not in the sense that you either deprive yourself of all enjoyable foods or go back to same eating pattern as what got you over-weight in the first place.

I first took a good look at how I was eating, I was doing already a lot of good things:

• No sugary drinks (except to fuel those hard work outs of coarse!)
  • No junk food, dinner means cooking for 15-30 minutes starting from real food.

And I was eating exactly the right amount to maintain my weight. So to loose weight I needed to start eating less, and to do that in a sustainable way, to me that means:

• no calorie counting, I won’t be doing that for the rest of my life.
  • Follow my appetite as a guide
  • Make small changes to eating habits, something that you will keep doing, see what happens to your weight and then adjust if needed.
  • If there are drinks at work with snacks or birthday treats with cake, if there is something else to celebrate, I will eat normally the special food that is available. You are overweight not because of what you eat on special occasions, but because of what you eat all the time. So if there is something special, I will just eat the special food and maybe choose to eat less or eat a bit more veggies / less carbs. Or I could also skip the next meal to compensate (that is where experience in intermitted fasting comes in handy).

So what I did so far was the following:

• On non cycling days I always skip breakfast and lunch is always 2 slices of bread with butter, ham and cheese, 1 slice of bread with peanut butter and a small bowl of whatever soup there is that day.
  • When I do cycle I will have breakfast, 2 slices of bread or so and depending on the work I will also eat an additional meal afterwards, following my appetite.
  • For dinner I eat 1 plate of food with vegetables, carbs and meat/fish/vegetarian choice.
  • Desert is normally a hand of nuts and 1 square of dark 85%+ chocolate.
  • Other than that I would eat only “zero” calorie foods in the evening, like cucumber, celery or tomatoes.
  • Goal is that at the end of the day I feel like my stomach is nagging a little bit, but it is a feeling that goes away again if you stop thinking about it. A bit like when doing intermitted fasting.

This worked incredibly and I was loosing 0.5-1 kg per week, my weight came down effortlessly from 89kg to 82 kg. It then stayed between 82-83 kg for a few weeks. But my mindset at the moment is, no worries if the weight stays constant that is also a gain as you are adapting to the new quantities of food.
I then started looking again carefully at how I was eating and noticed that I no longer was having those slightly nagging hunger sensation in the evenings. Clearly the reduced amount of food I had started eating was now enough to sustain my new weight.
The last week or so I decided to make another small adjustment to bring back that nagging sensation again. I found out that I was sometimes eating a second (half) plate at dinner and the nuts portion might also be getting larger. So brought dinner back to 1 plate again and eating less nuts, which seems to have triggered some weight loss again.

7 Likes

I should probably lose 20 pounds. I need to focus on eating healthier.

1 Like

I have been maintaining the sheet for the last 2 years, is there still demand for it?

I think there has only been 2 - 3 using it for the last few months.

It might be an idea to create a new sheet as many have drop off.

Thoughts, are people still interested? If so I’ll set a new one up this evening for 2023

6 Likes

I’m hoping to get to 4wkg this year. Off the beers this month and hoping to make some positive changes to my body and build a little bit more power. Weighed in at 81kg this morning from 78 just before Christmas. I was at 74 last summer and I really want that back

3 Likes

I do like the Google sheet and this thread as occasional reminders to weigh myself and keep things in balance! I was 75kg before Xmas, 76 this morning so happy with that, 73/74 is my aim for spring!

3 Likes

2023 Check in sheet, let me know if any problems

8 Likes

Cheers. Let’s give this a good go.

Glad to see this. I’m back. Will be putting in my weight this week. Been basically on maintenance since my last check in. Glad to have many join up!

I will join this group!

1 Like

I like the idea of this. Is it open to anyone?

2 Likes

OK, I’m in. Added my entry to the sheet.

1 Like

Ok, I’m in. I don’t have a huge amount to lose, but want to have it off by August and am pushing hard on training to so going to be a balance between fueling and being smart to try and slim down some.

2 Likes