Unable to complete schedule training. What is best?

Hi,
Sometimes a scheduled training has more time than what you have available that day or you are really tired to perform it all. My questions are about what is best to do in these situations:

1 - Feeling good but unable to complete the session due to having less time available than the the scheduled training:
A - Follow the schedule and finish the training when your available time runs out?
B - Delete the scheduled training and go for another shorter version of the same exercice?
C - Rearrange the plan and try and make the full training another day?

Depending of the schedule that week I’ve been opting by all, but mainly I try to do has option B and about this option (choosing a shorter version os the same training) I have another question:
2 - Is a shorter version of the same exercice in the general complete plan a good choice that still keeps the objective of the plan intact or it ruins the hole deal?

3 - Feeling tired at the beginning or during a session when doing several sets and after the first ones you are really tired what should you choose considering the effectiveness of the training:
A - Reduce exercice % and do the training to the end?
B - Try and make has many sts as you can at 100% and when you blow up end the session?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think for 1 and 2, a shorter version at 100% is your best bet. As you say about #2, a shorter version keeps the same objective, if you’re after sweet spot adaptation, you need to do sweet spot, and doing 2 intervals instead of 3 won’t get you the same stress accumulation and adaptation but it’s still on the right path.

Also if you’re feeling strong you can target a workout that has longer intervals and shorter rests, for sweet spot, something like a 4x10 with 3 minute rests, as opposed to 4x10 with 6 minute rests. Gives you the same amount of time at sweet spot but with less time in the workout overall.

To your final point, if you’re feeling rough, try bumping down the % a couple points so you can finish the workout. Don’t bump down too much otherwise your threshold intervals go to sweet spot intervals, and you might want to think about just taking a rest day if you really can’t push through.

1 Like

Might not answer your issues fully, but this is a useful resource.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies.

Being a bit more specific. Today workout was schedule to be Thor - 1 with 1h30 minutes long and this schematic: “Thor -1 consists of a massive 8 sets of 3x12-second sprints between 180-200% FTP followed closely by a slightly suprathreshold 4-minute effort at 102% FTP, a.k.a. sprint-intervals.”

I won’t have 1h30 minutes to complete thor-1 nor I think I’ve rested enough to complete the full range of those 8 sets of thor -1, so I´ve changed it to Thor -3: “Thor -3 consists of a hefty 5 sets of 3x12-second sprints between 180-220% FTP followed closely by a slightly suprathreshold 4-minute effort at 105% FTP, a.k.a. sprint-ervals.”

I could start Thor -1 and then drop out about one hour ongoing in the workout but it seems to me best to change the exercise and do it all although it´s 3 sets shorter in the -3 version than to do 1h00 in thor-1 completing the same 5 sets but with less FTP % on the sprints and on the suprathreshold 4-minute effort.

Was this a good choice?

Warm up and get the most in that you can. A seems similar to B, but B you’re just not cutting it short but choosing a shorter workout. Same thing?

You only have so much time, so do what you can. It seems like a moot point; if you dont have time, just get in the most time in that zone as possible.

Get some rest. Starting tired isn’t going to give you the best adaptation cause your power will be lower than if you’re well rested. That said, go for B. Get time in zone versus altering the % and therefore making your own workout zones up