Two Complaints from a New Rider

I’m not really sure why people are making so many derogatory comments about using virtual power. It’s a perfectly valid way to train, just so long as you recognize the limitations (the power numbers are not really comparable with power meter numbers).

Personally, I wouldn’t do a ramp test to start your training with TrainerRoad and virtual power. @IvyAudrain I would highly recommend changing this recommendation to the 8-min test, because if someone is totally new to structured training and doesn’t have erg mode, then the ramp test is really, REALLY hard to do. Pacing for a 20-min test is also super hard. The 8-min test is ideal for this situation. Learning how to follow a TrainerRoad workout NOT in erg mode is something that takes time. It’s a lot to try to figure out for your first or second workout ever, especially if you’re just trying to test out TrainerRoad and see if you want to subscribe.

@xfumbler, I think you’ve already received good feedback that the initial FTP is just a number to start with. The main key with virtual power is to just keep your setup consistent, as you noted. Generally the people on this forum offer useful advice; I’m sorry that there were so many useless suggestions. You have the tools you need to get started, and you’ll definitely get plenty out of the program. I hope that the rest of your trial goes more smoothly!

11 Likes

Thanks for that link, that is something I didn’t find before I did the test.

1 Like

Forget it Jake, it’s the internet.

I did know about the 20min and 8min tests but read that the longer one was the recommended test for people new to the system. I’m going to finish out the rest of the routines during the trial (I did one already) and pay up for at least a month. When I do the next ramp test I’ll do the 8 min one.

1 Like

The problem with the 20 and 8 minute tests if you’re inexperienced (or even if you’re experienced!) is pacing. Unless you already have a pretty good idea what power you can hold, it’s very easy to set off too hard or easy. The ramp test does away with pacing issues, and is particularly well suited to using a smart trainer in erg mode as you don’t have to worry about hitting target power, you just keep pedaling until you can’t turn your legs over any more. But if you’re on virtual power and don’t have a good sense yet of how gearing and cadence relate to different power outputs, then doing ~15-20 power changes at 1 minute intervals is far from ideal either.

No point worrying about it, FTP is just a number to set workout intensity. If your workouts are too hard or too easy using that number then you can manually adjust it or retest. And if you’re new to structured training then you may well see some pretty rapid changes in fitness during your first few blocks of training.

2 Likes

When TR athletes give the best advice:

6 Likes