Travel trainer help and advice

I purchased this trainer to take on travel but it’s a bit small for a XXL MTB

DEUTER Bike Trainer Stand Resistance Adjustable - Portable Magnetic Bicycle Rollers Indoor Exercise/Fitness/Workout - Fordable Fully Aluminum Alloy with Tote Bag for Travel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085H936YJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_VD2GY1CYFNAXKGEBTKQN

Any updates advice for air travel for a Kickr or a different travel trainer?

Similar concept, but the Feedback Omnium offers an extension that can be added to the main unit, to work with those longer bikes.

Minoura lists their version with a 1200mm max wheelbase.

2 Likes

Thanks!! I wonder if that would work with my current one?

I’d also love to find a box to take my Kickr with me

Have you considered the elite suito? Super portable given that it’s a full-sized trainer…

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/home-trainers/interactive-trainers/suito-t

@mcneese.chad glad you recommend the Omnium. I have one and its been a long while since I used it. I am going to increase my travel with my job this year (by car) and plan to use it more. From my memory it’s virtual power based not real power, I think? When I have used it in the past and did something like Pettit, the workout was not endurance Zone 2 at all, it was more like Threshold. So I had to lower the percentage of the workout a lot and went more by HR. By doing this method it throws off TSS. Any recommendations? I guess scenarios like this or riding outside is why others have asked TR to have different profiles depending on which trainer or power meter they use. In the meantime until that comes along, any recommendations? Thanks

2 Likes

The Omnium I have used was completely dumb, but I have power meters on my bikes, so I don’t need it. Basically, it is a great trainer for up to 300–400 W. I reckon you can do push harder for short times, but I wouldn’t want to practice sprints on it. Also, the trainer seems to have very little inertia. However, as a portable trainer it does a really good job. It folds up nicely and is much lighter than other trainers.

1 Like

Yup, no power smarts on the Ominum. You need a real power meter or use Virtual Power.

So that and the basic absence of a decent flywheel may lead to some notable RPE differences compared to other trainers.

That kinda parallels yhe issues qhere qe see pople talk about differences between trainers and power meter dat, or even the inside vs outside deltas.

I dont have any great options right now. In the past I’d suggest and FTP test on that different setup and swap FTP appropriately. But since changing FTP now resets Progression Levels, that is not a good idea.

As you said, the right solution is FTP profiles linked to other values. Until TR comes to that side (which they seem very hesitant to do), I don‘t know the best way to handle these deltas.

1 Like

Thanks. Maybe it’s time to invest in a powermeter for this situation and outside rides on my travel bike. I only use power on my indoor rides so far, primarily b/c I have too many bikes for outside.

Thanks again

1 Like

A power meter on a bike is definitely a great investment. If you want something you can swap between bikes, a pedal-based power meter seems to be a good option. It seems that all of them are very good, including Speedplay’s new pedal-based power meter pedals. The usual suspects, @dcrainmaker and @GPLama, both gave them glowing reviews. If you prefer SPD-type pedals, Assiomas are a great option.

I have a Suito at home. It is an awesome indoor trainer, but it is less portable simply because of weight alone. I used to take my Elite Volano with me on races to warm up, which, I think, is one of the Omnium’s main claims to fame. It’s actually advantageous to have a dumb trainer, because you may be surrounded by rain and the like, and a dumb trainer’s electronics can’t break as it doesn’t have any.

The Suito is a good trainer, though: it is fully featured, quiet and has a good power meter built-in. I use it in erg mode for endurance workouts and switch to resistance mode for sweet spot and above.

1 Like

I just ordered one based on your recommendation thanks!

1 Like

@OreoCookie I have definitely been thinking of the pedals for years. As DCRainmaker points out they have had their issues over time. I do think they have arrived with less problems. However, I am actually looking at my travel bike as my main everything bike for training outside and when alone. I personally do not think I need a meter for group rides except for pure curiosity on all my other bikes. I may just send in my left Crank to Stages where they do a factory install of a power meter. This looks to be one of the more economical choices for power meters these days. I think mine would be ~$265.

1 Like

As far as I know Favero Assiomas are among the power meters that others are compared against. Other trusted power data sources are the Quarq DZero and the Elite Directo. So I think some power meter pedals have been without problems for a long time it seems.

But yes, the cheapest options are one-sided crank-arm-based power meters from Stages and 4iiii. I ran a 4iiii for several years. It took a month to settle down in order to produce reliable power numbers. But after that it worked. I ordered a second, used one for my new mountain bike, but got a lemon.

A power meter is tremendously useful when riding outdoors. Being able to connect sensations with power numbers allowed me to up my pacing game by a lot.