I’m curious if anyone has studied which workouts they find easy/perform better in than others and used that to influence race tactics? If so, how?
For me, I can find similar IF workouts very different in terms of difficulty and last night highlighted that well.
- I had Striped +1, which has short intervals from 150-180% FTP but plenty of rest. I had a blast and finished by emptying the tank in the last 15s interval with a near 300% sprint
- However, my FTP is a manual set as I have extreme difficulty with the Ramp Test workout structure (slow escalation into VO2/anerobic with no rest).
- I also typically have to turn down 120%+ VO2 longer interval workouts or I fade (a workout like Dade)
- I also have trouble, though not as bad as the VO2 work above, with anaerobic intervals with shorter rests (pointing to a poor short recovery ability?)
- I can do sweet spot all day (an exaggeration, but that’s how the 2hr workouts feel)
Translating that all above into a race tactics - I feel like it’s somewhat like one of the Clif Bar riders said in episode 21: “I can make a gap, but I can’t hold a gap, so I’ll wait for a break to form and bridge up to it”. Quite a simplification, but seems to fit a bit into the above.