Training When Sick, Weight Gain to Build Power, Anemia and much more – Ask a Cycling Coach 232

Re: Skin Suits per Nate’s request at the end of the cast, these are the main ones I could find via search (newest thread to oldest below).

2 Likes

At a certain moment @chad mentioned using his cleats as far back as possible.

What is the reason behind it?
Being such a discussed matter in fitting maybe it was also addressed. Sorry if that is the case.

As a n=1 experience, I did the same to help me in coping with an Achilles injury and as a result I got the impression my MaxP suffered a bit.

Rear biased cleats can reduce the strain on the Achilles as well as reduce strain on the forefoot (to reduce hot spots and/or numbness).

• It is the “new school” cleat placement vs the age old idea of placing the ball of the foot directly over the pedal spindle.

• As with every fit option, it works well for some and not for others.

One consideration when you make a cleat shift, you may also want/need to adjust saddle height in tandem. If you move the cleat rearward, you should drop the saddle. You can ballpark a 1:1 cleat shift vs saddle drop/raise, but that will vary a bit with your foot position towards the bottom of the stroke. More or less toe point will impact the desired saddle height change.

2 Likes

Such an appropriate topic for me, training while sick. I came down with some minor sniffles last Sunday, didn’t think of it and went through my ramp test and started SSBII low volume. Still felt sick but not febrile during the week, continued with the plan and added 2 endurance rides and 2 powerlifting sessions.

Last night I got virtually no sleep due to congestion. Woke up this morning to nasty phlegm and felt weak overall. Several hours later I actually feel better and my congestion is gone…but someone please give me a good reason not to get on the bike today because I really want to!

One side note from the discussion about anemia. Coach Chad mentioned that IUDs increase menstrual bleeding. This is only true for the copper IUDs, such as Paraguard. The hormonal IUDs, such as Mirena, dramatically decrease menstruation, even to the extent that many women using Mirena experience no monthly bleeding.

2 Likes

@bernardlinde
@Macy
@redlude97
@klehenba
@614irondad
@RONDAL
@Wahoowheezewizzard
@Bigvern777
@veitok

We made a mistake recommending Everly food allergy testing. We are going to walk back our recommendation next podcast and explain why. We didn’t do our due diligence and just fell for marketing hype before looking at the research.

We’re really sorry for recommending it :frowning_face:.

We’re also going to clarify that TR does not recommend raw milk and it’s very dangerous for certain populations.

27 Likes

Crap. I should have read this thread before ordering.

B12 is tough to get on a vegetarian diet but you were on a supplement. Based on the differential she gave I’m guessing you had a macrocytic anemia (large red blood cells) which can be caused by low B12, low folate, excess alcohol, but also liver disease, bone marrow problems, and low thyroid. Iron deficiency is microcytic anemia (small red blood cells). The tests aren’t perfect so rechecking makes a lot of sense. If you still have large red blood cells it might be worth getting your thyroid and liver checked along with b-vitamin levels.

3 Likes

To be fair, I’m not sure you recommended these things but you guys have a lot of influence on what people do. No one gets faster by limiting their diet or getting listeria. Thanks for listening to our concerns.
For anyone getting their testosterone levels checked, keep in mind testosterone is highest in the early morning and will be suppressed if you are sick, haven’t slept well, and may be suppressed if you’ve been doing hard aerobic workouts.

5 Likes

@Nate_Pearson one more reason you guys continue to shine, taking ownership and handling things professionally.
At a minimum it has spurred a good discussion on the topic.

4 Likes

Thanks! There was a kind of extreme fashion which seemed to sort of fade away about mid foot placement. As far as I know, it was adopted by triathletes and legit ultra cyclists.
It involves using custom shoes because the regular ones do not allow for such an extreme clear placement.
Anyway, I might be wrong, but when using such position, the ankle joint is taken out of the pedaling chain of forces and so are the calf muscles to a certain extent.
That might explain my diminished sprinting force.
By the way I did lower the saddle a bit.

That’s great @Nate_Pearson . Nutrition really is a minefield. There’s enough in the nutrition/ diet area with no scientific backing already though to not add to it!

Not that I drink raw milk, and I think it’s illegal to sell it in AU for that purpose anyway, but the workaround for sellers was to market it for bathing in. I just assumed that’s what Chad wanted it for :grinning:

1 Like

This farm is near us that sells raw products. We have tried it and didn’t see any real difference. It is sold and marketed for drinking/human consumption.

Same, I ordered the men’s health test kit last night. Oh well.

They actually gave me a refund. It’s worth asking.

Definite lesson learned for me. Stupid to just dive in without doing a little research first.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I’m still going to give it a shot since it’s not the food allergy test that everyone is up in arms about. I’m assuming that is the one TR is no longer recommending.

Unless you put the directly under the heel, there will still be load on the ankle and calf. The mid foot placement does reduce the leverage even more than the rear biased cleat (within the range of a ‘normal’ shoe). It may also reduce the total ankle motion in the stroke as well.

I never bought into that extreme position. It may work for some, but its probably more than most people need.

1 Like

I was surprised to hear Nate say he is taking creatine. I’ve always heard that creatine and cycling didn’t go well together. Has there been a podcast on creatine and cycling?

1 Like

Hi all, I’m new to the forum, but have a question on weight gain. In the past, I’ve obsessively watched my weight and checked the scale at least once a day. When I tried to move away from this and weigh myself once a week, I gained almost 10 pounds. My power numbers are up slightly after a season of stagnation. Does this mean that I’ve been under fueling in the past and limiting my ability to increase power? And that my “new” weight is better for performance?

Gaining 10 pounds is stressful as a cyclist.

1 Like