Training Plan For 200 Mile Solo Ride

I’m currently training for a 300km audax with 6600ft elevation and have modified my TR plans to feature a lot of Galena, Fang Mountain, and Mount Goode type of rides just to prepare myself for the long, steady climbs on the route I’d be riding.

Then I do rides like Andrews and Brasstown back to back to build endurance and get used to my on bike position that my fitter recently updated. It’s also a good time to test feeding and drinking from my frame and top tube bags and how the frame bag gets in the way of my bottle holders a bit.

1 Like

I wouldn’t even try. You’ll just end up sick with a shut down stomach. On the really long rides you just take a break, have some real food and drink. Then when you get going ride easy for next 30 mins to an hour.

So keep trickling the calories in, but don’t by any means try and max it out. I know in theory you can hit 90g/hr. but have have you ever tried doing that?

My approach is have a nibble of something about once every 15 mins and then stop and have something more substantial about every 3-4 hours.

1 Like

Thank you for the in depth advice I appreciate it alot and will start practising longer Z2 rides on little to no food. I did a 90 minute Z2 ride a few days ago with no food and felt good. I’m just used to having carbs after every 45 minutes from my marathon training. @GoLongThenGoHome

I’ve been looking today and I’m gonna go for SSB 1 + 2 mid volume and substitute some of the weekend sessions for longer z2 endurance rides and gradually increase them over the weeks and some how work out a taper :laughing: I’m looking forward to learning how to train for it and looking forward to riding across the country in one day! @Johnnyvee

While I agree with PhilW’s recommendation about avoiding eating like we all eat on shorter rides, I have to disagree with the idea that one should train fasted.

I have never done a double century. My wife has done several and I’ve supported many more. So, everything I know I"ve learned by watching others.

Phil’s recommendation to try to ride 2.5 hours before you eat anything is going to end in disaster. I suspect that Phil has years of experience with this, but teaching your body to fuel on fat reserves as he has described takes a lot of practice.

6 Likes

Yeah while I don’t think I’ll be throwing carbs constantly down my neck on the ride but I certainly won’t be starving myself on such ride. I know from running that failing to fuel can end in a disaster. I’ll practise fueling alot in training but I agree with what you’re saying 100% I only have around 14 weeks to train for this ride, I doubt I’ll be able to come totally fat adapted in such a small time frame @TriSherpa

I’ve chosen SSB mid volume 1 + 2 which will take me up to around 2 weeks from my event, what’s the best way of going about it to taper for it? @Craig_G @danielrsharp

I’ll be looking to substitute either the Saturday (Threshold session) or the Sunday (Sweetspot) session for a longer Z2 endurance ride. Which would be the best one to swap out? @Craig_G @danielrsharp

90g/hr seems like it might be achievable for me for shorter rides, like 1-2 hrs, if I can train my gut. But I can’t imagine trying to fuel at that rate for 3-5hrs, which is the extent of my long rides. That fueling strategy seems like it would not scale that well to longer events due to the digestion requirements. At least for me.

I’m currently around 25g/hr for indoors and outdoors rides, outdoors I do more granola bars so it isn’t as steady as inside is. I am slowly pushing it up, but I don’t need to drink a lot and I don’t have hunger queues pushing me to eat / drink more. I also don’t want to feel like I’m force feeding myself and am trying to slowly increase to avoid GI distress from over fueling.

1 Like

Agree with this, especially for an event that is not that far away. It shouldn’t be about testing the boundaries with training methods, much more conservative to ensure that the training doesn’t fall off a cliff. I don’t think there is time within 14 weeks to turn things round if you mess it up.

Would be different for someone who is really experienced at knowing their body or is working closely with an experienced coach. And also depends on what is at stake. If your goal is completion, very different to someone throwing everything at a win at all costs event.

1 Like

That’s very similar to how I fuel most my longer sessions, usually a banana or gel or homemade flapjack per hour seems to keep me going on rides up to 4 hours and worked well for my 1st century last year @Craig_G

2 Likes

Agreed 100% any advice on my previous posts?

I would lean towards swapping the Sunday SS session. If you look at the plan notes for the week it may even give a recommendation for a TR z2 / endurance workout to use instead of the SS workout. Some of the plans have those notes.

It may take a little time to adjust, but I think doing an endurance ride on Sunday with some fatigue from a threshold session on Saturday would be easier to deal with than 2hrs of SS on Sunday after 4hrs on Saturday.

2 Likes

Makes sense, I appreciate the advice @Craig_G as I’m new to trainerroad planning I didn’t have a clue where to start, you guys have helped a bunch. I know it’s not gonna be perfect straight away but I think I’ll make the adaptations needed to the plan to sort me out for the ride!

Only slight issue I have for road riding is I don’t yet have a powermeter for my bike outdoors, I’m guessing for my longer outdoor Z2 rides I should therfore just use Z2 Heart rate?

Tapers are very personal, they work for some and not others. Most tapering is about bringing sharpness, for a long event, it is more about coming into the event rested. In the last two weeks just don’t do anything stupid that leaves you with niggles. Just keep ticking over.

I am not entirely familiar with the plans, but I think @clasher is talking a lot of sense in his suggestion that you actually use a lower volume plan so you don’t overdo the intensity work at the expense of the endurance rides. For a lot of riders, the priority is to hit the high intensity work fresh, but for you it is hitting those endurance rides in good condition.

For endurance rides you can achieve a lot with heart rate. keep it low, and keep an eye on your RPE (and speed if appropriate). You want to learn how hard you can go on climbs and drags without having to recover in between.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think disaster. My recommendation for 2,5 hours is for beginners. You’ve perhaps missed that these fasted rides should be done at low intensities. Below 75% max HR and often below 70% max. This isn’t for rides smashed out at 85% max HR averages.

1 Like

Just double up on the Century Plan.

1 Like

Points taken mate, I’ll definetely consider switching to the Low volume plan, Only reason I’ve chosen the mid volume plan is because I’m very used to running or cycling 6 days a week with one rest day. Having 2 rest days is a blessing, that being said I’ve never quite trained like I’m guessing some of the TR sessions will kick my ass I’ts a case of experimenting I guess…

Does it work like that though? :thinking: