Training Plan For 200 Mile Solo Ride

My partner runs and does super-long walks too and does taper for those events, she doesn’t taper much for 200k brevets when she does them. I find that I don’t need to do tapers like she does for my long distance rides. I’ve done silly things like 280km on a Sunday and starting a 1200k on the Thursday after. I did a 1000km brevet with 12 days off before the start of PBP in 2019. In those 12 days I did one hard group ride and two other endurance paced rides a few days before PBP. I would taper off on the intensity and generally just do a few rides shorter outdoor rides before your event, I find 2 hour outdoor rides are perfect for me.

1 Like

Points taken mate, I’ll definetely consider switching to the Low volume plan, Only reason I’ve chosen the mid volume plan is because I’m very used to running or cycling 6 days a week with one rest day. Having 2 rest days is a blessing, that being said I’ve never quite trained like I’m guessing some of the TR sessions will kick my ass I’ts a case of experimenting I guess…

Does it work like that though? :thinking:

I’ll certainly back off the threshold sessions and any intense sessions the 2 weeks prior to my ride. Im getting better ideas on how I’m going to train for it now. Thank you a lot mate!

I wouldn’t start training fasted rides if you haven’t done that before. I’d just go with whatever fuelling strategy you have now (bananas and flapjacks seem sound to me), and just extend the duration doing that. Maybe have a couple of sandwichs too, and some jelly sweets or gels if you fancy a bit of sugar.

The whole fasted ride debate should probably go into another thread.

2 Likes

I get what you mean, the old saying “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” I know the whole “Your body isn’t using carbs for fuel its using fat in Z2” but it seems to have worked fine for my 100 mile solo ride I did last year, I know I’m ignorant at anything past 100 miles and I’m not cocky and underestimating the 214 mile distance but if it works for 100 miles surely I can make slight modifications due to palette fatigue and get through fine? @splash

1 Like

I appreciate your advice mate. I’ve heard great things about becoming fat adapted but like the others have said, I don’t think 14 weeks is enough time to get that process done?

I am right you’re aiming to do the 210 miles in one stint yes?

Good luck whatever you decide to do. You learn a lot about yourself the longer the rides you do. Wait till you do a 24 hour event, then 3 days, then 7 days etc.

1 Like

Yep one stint! I love a challenge, when I did my marathon it was one of them discovering yourself type of events and now I’m just hooked on pushing further and further!

It’s not so much about the volume, you want plenty of that, just be careful that you don’t overdo the intensity work, especially during the week.

1 Like

Yes exactly. If it works for you, just continue. If it doesn’t work, start thinking about what you could change.

I also don’t think you need to train fasted to become more fat adapted - the research out there shows that fitter riders push their fatox curve towards higher intensities, but they don’t need to train fasted to get there, they just need to train a lot. Its a complex topic though and I think it will just derail the thread if we keep talking about it. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Gotcha! I’m very dedicated when it comes to sleep, nutrition, recovery methods (foam rolling stetching etc)
But that being said I won’t underestimate the triaining at all, as I’ve said It’s new to me.

Very true matey, homemade flapjacks, Bananas and Chia energy gels (humagels) it is then.
Then when I get bored of them, I think I like the idea of peanut butter and jam sandwichs tested on long Z2 indoor sessions where the toilet is close just incase :rofl: :man_facepalming:

I wouldn’t get too concerned with g of carbs, but I would keep fuel sources topped up. I am guessing this is going to be a long ride (14-15 hours); at a conservative 400kcal/hour, that’s 6000 kcal. So your daily expenditure is going to be very roughly in the 8000kcal region, potentially more. Without getting a decent amount of food in, that is going to end badly for most people. Many top Ironman competitors will tell you that they are a fuelling competition as much as anything else.

Phil is very welcome to his view and sounds like he has experience, but if it were me, I’d be taking a lot of food with me.

Just for reference, on a 4hr sunday ride (0.65-0.7 intensity), I’ll get through 2 bottles each with 60g of carb powder, a large flapjack, a couple of caffeine gels and either a bag of haribo or a couple of bananas.

1 Like

The LV plans still have a good amount of intensity and TR usually recommends starting with them and adding in some longer low intensity rides or swapping a workout for one.
That’s what I’d go with and try thinking about longer fueling strategy. Stopping and taking on real food is also a very good strategy. :joy:

I think now you just need to crack on with coming up with some clear intermediate goals, so that you are thinking about the intention of the series of workouts and the impact on your overall goal. These could be power based, but could also be on duration or repeatability. For example, 4 weeks in you could aim to complete 2 back to back 4 hr rides at the weekend.

That’s very similar to how I fuel most my long duration rides at the minute. cheers for the advice

Yep the LV plan seems like a great option! and then just insert a few Z2 longer rides to build me up.

1 Like

Definitely don’t skimp on carbs, you’ll need them during the ride that’s for sure! I would take a couple of gels with you too, just in case you need a boost towards the end.
Also, learn to ride to feel and treat the ride as a day out on the bike more than anything else.

1 Like

Don’t over think it. If you’re fairly fit now and comfortable on your bike you’ll be fine. If possible, try to have a window of a few different days so you can pick a day where there’s no easterly wind. An easterly is normally rare but would be a killer.
As for plans don’t get overly concerned, just get the miles in and be consistent on the plan you choose. I did a 240 mile 230000ft ascent last year following a mid volume time trial plan. It was meant to be longer but I failed to follow my advice above and set off on a windy day and the first 200 miles was into a head wind. Eat what you’re used to and eat very, very regularly. Good luck.

3 Likes