TrainerRoad and Zwift together?

2 Likes

Meh. Itā€™s just like anything else in this world. Nothing is perfect, and most will be improved over time. I donā€™t disagree with you on any of this but I expect that all of these things will gradually be fixed.

Aside from that when Iā€™m riding using Zwift I feel like Iā€™m really riding my bike. Itā€™s crazily compelling and captivates me just as much as riding outside. Thatā€™s what I like about it.

2 Likes

Eric Min mentioned major changes are coming to the UI, so we should see something very different Zoon.

2 Likes

Events on Zwift are scheduled by time. If you go early, you end up on a virtual trainer. Since 99.99% of humans prefer to avoid the absurdity of pedaling on a pretend trainer while sitting on a real trainer, the default is wisely set to free ride in Zwift until the event start gets close at which time Zwift starts asking you if you want to go to the event. Most people warm up by riding around then pop in a couple minutes before the start. The design makes perfect sense to me.

4 Likes

Best of both for todayā€™s EZ ride.

14 Likes

I think they have done a great job with events which makes sense since the social aspect is what they are mostly all about. I like scrolling through the events on the companion app and then as you said logging on early and just warming up out on the course. The pop ups on screen and on the companion app to let you join the event are great and make it very easy to join whenever you want.

I just wish they would do this for workouts. Iā€™d love to be able to look through the workouts on the companion app, select one, and have it ready to go when I log on. I know you can do this for group workouts, but itā€™s really needed for individual workouts that you want to start anytime.

Iā€™m guessing something like this will be coming with the new interface, but as of now the TR experience of choosing and loading a workout is far superior in my opinion.

2 Likes

Same here. Makes those long intervals more bearable. Kind of frustrating when the recoveries come during KOM climbs, though!

2 Likes

Two part question for the techy folks here. I have an iPhone X I typically use for TR. I also have a 2012 i5 iMac, and I am open to buying the new Apple TV. I would like to run TR on my phone and Zwift on the larger screen. Would my 2012 iMac handle Zwift okay, or would it be better to get the Apple TV? Do I need to buy an Ant dongle, and if so is there a stand out favorite?

Thanks in advance!

• I donā€™t know one way or the other. But you can install Zwift, and then enter the game, as a viewer. You can click to watch any rider and judge the experience on your existing setup.
  • First, we need to know what smart trainer, power, cadence, heart rate devices you have and if they are BLE, ANT+ or combo.

• Once we know those details, we can make more specific recommendations.

1 Like

Thanks Chad. I currently have a Cyclops PowerTap G3 hub, with Bluetooth LE and Ant+ compatible cap, on a dumb trainer. My understanding is I canā€™t use Bluetooth for more than one connection, so I would use BT synced to iPhone and Ant to the computer. I would like to be future proofed though, because Favero Assiomas and a smart trainer are on my future.

• Yup, you got it exactly right.
  • This will work in a pretty similar mode as your comment above.
  1. TR on iPhone, BLE connection to smart trainer and power meter pedals (if you want to use Power Match).

2. Zwift on laptop, ANT+ stick and connection to power meter pedals (and specifically NOT the trainer).

1 Like

zwift will run best on apples a10 chip set or higher, so maybe run zwift on iPhone and trainer road on i mac. i do both. but everything i have is a10 chipset or higher.

jeff

1 Like

I run both as well and works great. 2 ant+ sticks with my imac.

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying something new this year, running the TR outside workout on my Garmin Edge and then doing a ā€œfree rideā€ workout in Zwift. I lose the ERG aspect of it that way but it is good for some workouts. the other way is just following the TR workout on my iPhone and again free riding in Zwift. Iā€™ve only tested these so far but they seem to work well and will probably alternate depending on the workout. I like the social aspect of Zwift and the simulated outdoors.

2 Likes

I run TrainerRoad and Zwift at the same time on my 2011 MacBook Air. Pretty sure yours will handle it just fine.

1 Like

I was experimenting with something similar last night and it worked well! Iā€™m not particularly fond of Zwift myself, but keeping connected with the local cycling community is important to me, and I have a friend in another state that I would like to be able to do rides with, so I think this is a great compromise.

2 Likes

Depending on the smart trainer you buy, it is possible you wonā€˜t need an ant+ stick. The kickr core for example supports two simultaneous Bluetooth connections.

2 Likes

For those of you that Zwift and TR simultaneously, for Strava and Training Peaks, which ride do you keep and which do you delete? Is there any reason to keep one over the other?

cc @mcneese.chad (thank you sir)

I keep the zwift one because most of the SSB workouts have almost no cool down, and I tend to continue to ride for another 5-10 minutes after TR completes.

1 Like

For workouts driven by TR, I keep my Zwift stuff on Strava and Training Peaks, and TR stays on TR only.

If I do a free ride, group ride or race in Zwift, that stays in all locations.

4 Likes