TR workouts coming to the Hammerhead Karoo?

Thanks @miro.rides.bikes
I was not aware of the trainer day, quite interesting! The services you don’t get from paid trainerroad you get here for free. Did they copy the plans from trainerroad? I want to see if it’s ethically right to cancel trainerroad and use trainer day instead. Seems like it is covering all features, I was able to sideload it in my karoo and it will connect to my trainer at home as well.

Haven’t really went this far, I only really tested if this way I can send a workout to my unit. But I searched for a few workouts and noticed that they even copied the text description on the workouts I searched for and could find. I think they call themselves „open source“ so I don’t know how much TRs legal department can do about it.
As for canceling TR and switching platforms - I personally find TR offers me a lot value for the money, because I use many resources like forum, podcast, calendar. The workouts are awesome and have helped me improve my performance so far so I‘ll keep supporting and hope the day will come soon. To me outdoor interval workouts are not of big relevance anyway, just nice to have.

1 Like

From what I hear, it sounds like they have copied from trainerroad, or some of their users did - not good.
I am new to trainerroad and still learning the benefits, so it might take some time for me before I decide to cancel.
I do most of my interval workout outside, except the 3-4 months of winter when its gets freezing cold here! so that is a big deal for me.
Anyway, thanks for all the info, you helped a lot.

1 Like
  • Yes, due to the nature of so much being crowd sourced, they have had some users duplicate TR properties on the TD site. TrainerDay seems willing to remove that if & when identified based on the times I’ve pointed out issues as well as relays from others.
2 Likes

I’m a big TrainerDay fan, their workout builder, plan builder are great products, but users making TR workouts in TD is a bit off (a bit like people who build TR workouts in Zwift is a bit off, that comes up in this forum fairly often), they keep their price down by having user driven content, and just like BMW arn’t responsible for bank robberies because bank robberes buy their cars (in movies), I feel that some of TD problem is that their price is cheap, and TR’s is high, so people (bank robbers) looking to save a buck, copy and paste

I think a good place to start would be to stop encouraging it in this forum

6 Likes

:point_up:

Right on!

2 Likes

That was not really my intention. Using this discussion I wanted signal that there is still user interest in pairing TR with Karoo accounts, just as it is possible to do so with Garmin units.

In principle, one could also use TRs workout creator to create custom workouts as well and send them to their unit, the functionality is already there it‘s just this one last link missing, to allow us do our workouts outdoors with Karoo. I would be willing to use TR outdoors even more if it were easier. In the summer months I barely make use of my subscription, because I mostly exercise outdoors.

1 Like

Figured I’d chime in for some context, as I have a web based workout creator that I’ve made recently for fun. It’s super easy to create MRC and erg files that can be used indoors. Creating outdoor workouts is a bit more of a challenge, from what I can see so far. Garmin and Wahoo have their own APIs for workouts, and at least from what I can see in Garmin stuff, there are a lot of unique requirements for building workouts (Wahoo documentation is sadly lacking, I have no idea what they require for their workouts). I’ve never tried pushing a trainer day workout to Garmin, so I’m not sure how that would work in practice outside like the workouts TR has specifically designed for outdoors. It’s not easy supporting a bunch of different formats

1 Like

I’m right there with you. I would LOVE to have TR outdoor workouts pushed to my Karoo. I can only hope that the Karoo gains more users which in turn makes it a platform worthy of TR’s development resources.

Thank you for chiming in and keeping the Karoo+TR drum beat going!

2 Likes

+1 for TR outdoor workouts to Karoo!

3 Likes

+1 for Karoo outdoor workout integration too

1 Like

+1 for Karoo outdoor workout integration too

1 Like

Another new Karoo user here +1

1 Like

+1 for TR outdoor workouts to Karoo!

Just adding my voice in requesting TR on the Karoo 2. Now that SRAM owns Hammerhead, it will likely become a more popular option, and I’d really like to be able to do my workouts outside without having to keep my old computer just for this use.

1 Like

+1 for me too

1 Like

+1 for me too. Use the Karoo on every ride.

1 Like

+1 for me as well. I haven’t done an outdoor workout in a while!

1 Like

Thanks, all! Bumping to the team * again * :sweat_smile:.

14 Likes

+1 Here too!

2 Likes