TR outside with Garmin offline

TR only added outside workouts a few months ago, and they didn’t charge extra for it. So really if we take your logic you’re not paying for it, so quit complaining about something that’s only been happening a few days and TR have zero control over. If you don’t like it, cancel your subscription. No one is forcing you. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

This is has to be every companies nightmare. Build functionality that relies on another vendor that could break it or be pulled at anytime. You would not expect Garmin to pull the API for this functionality, but the could if they wanted.

I treat outdoor rides as a bonus and not why I pay for Trainerroad.

2 Likes

…and @Nate_Pearson had the nerve to go and race this weekend when he could have spent time waiting for his outside workout to upload to his head unit :grinning: or nip over to Garmin and give them a hand!

2 Likes

I know. It really isnt that big of a deal. I just take issue with people saying “but the outdoor workouts work!!!” Well…no, if they worked, I’d be able to use outdoor workouts. It’s not a matter of assigning blame…

Anyway…a lot of this I would imagine is me just being unnecessarily pissy. Just got back from the clinic and found out I broke my foot :joy:

One step at a time :grinning:. Hope the foot gets better. Did the doctor charge you $10m? If not, you’re in better shape than Garmin :grinning:

1 Like

Haha no not quite $10,000,000.

It’s no big deal. Just a wee little crack at the base of my little toe metatarsal. I’m a dumbass. Met a couple people afterwork for a socially distanced beer after work mid bike ride. Rode 12 miles, had a beer, shot a couple baskets on a hoop (still wearing SPDs…). Shooting a couple baskets while socially distancing turned into playing some defense. Jumped up, came down, rolled my ankle, and apparently broke my foot. Totally my fault on multiple, dumb fronts. Shouldnt have been getting that close to people, shouldnt have been playing ball for 10 minutes, and definitely shouldnt have been doing it in MTB shoes. I deserve it frankly.

Anyway…prognosis is not terrible. I rode the 12 miles back home afterwards. 4-6 weeks until fully healed, but doc said I’m fine riding the trainer as long as pain isnt too bad. Short version is I doubt I’ll really miss too much training, but I’ll probably be indoors for a month. Clipping out is a bitch…foot wants no part of any twisting motion.

I’m not sure how you don’t understand that this is Garmins problem and not trainer roads.

If Instagram still worked fine but all Android systems were 100% down and not working, so iPhones and PC’s could access instagram no problem, you wouldn’t blame Instagram because you have an Android that’s not working.

2 Likes

Well, because I’m not an IT guy. I dont know or particularly care how this stuff works if I’m being honest. I just want it to work. Why does trainerroad need some other companies website to work in order to send information to a computer on a bike? Why doesnt it just zap it in from a phone to the computer directly via bluetooth or something?

But like I said…I dont really care about the ‘how’ or even the ‘who.’ That’s for the lawyers and IT guys to fight about. I’m just a guy who likes riding and training on bikes. I care about whether it works or not. And it doesnt right now.

I wonder if TR could create an app on connectIQ and push workouts that way?
I use ridewithgps and their routes are still downloading using this tunnel

Are you sure your route isn’t downloading some other way? All of Garmin’s services are down, including ConnectIQ, per Garmin Connect |

Garmin create and public an API which Trainroad uses, currently this is down, TR can talk to it, but it doesn’t do anything on the other end, So TR could decide (that because in the history of Garmin it’s been down for 4 days) decide to write this themselves, they would then have to research what Garmin have done, which isn’t trivial, you would have to test all devices, all variations, and make sure that they communicate with all variations of phone, increase you support desk to handle all the support calls, that would come from “I don’t know how this stuff works”. all of which has been build into the price of the garmin device, so TR would have to tool up, and either offer this as an additional charge or increase the charge of the current software, to offer a identical (if probably inferior) product that Garmin offer for free. The expense and resource required to do this would be massive, and I expect that TR wouldn’t export workouts to devices if Garmin didn’t offer a API to do it, Wahoo created a API, I expect to compete with the Garmin ones, TR would them have to do all the above for Wahoo as well, and we would be paying $40 a month for something that broke every time Garmin did a firmware update (they have to worry about that)

People say things like “why doesn’t it just zap it to the phone”, which is what the Gamin API does, and I dont really care about the ‘how’ or even the ‘who.’, but they would cry when the cost of doing all this “uncared about zapping” was billed to them

So your gonna rely to this email that you just wanted it to work, image if somebody took control of all your phones, and computers, and those of your friends, and said “hay $10,0000,000 and you can have them back” would you have replied as quickly, and in under 5 days ?

2 Likes

I understand wanting it to work but expecting TR to do something about it in two shakes is a little demanding. It was a feature built for your Garmin which requires Garmin Connect. Your Garmin is down so the feature doesn’t work. I’m not even sure a TR app could talk directly to a Garmin device.

In any case, maybe this will make TR rethink it’s reliance on Garmin Connect and they will come up with a bypass solution for the future.

Well hey…Trainerroad is the one marketing outdoor workouts all the time. This is their baby…it’s not like I found some weird workaround to make workouts show up on my bike that crapped out. This is a TR feature that doesnt work anymore. And again it’s not the end of the world, but it certainly throws the value proposition of TR into question when the outdoor portion of their workouts dont work.

And also the excuses game doesnt really work. The TR people seem pretty smart. I’m sure Nate is not in his office thinking “oh well it was some other company that $&@ed up their software, my customers will know our 1s and 0s are impenetrable little fortresses of code, perfectly written by little angels, and they would never hold US accountable for having advertised features un-usable.” TR outdoor workouts worked, now they dont. Nothing else really matters to anyone not directly involved in fixing it.

Why don’t you protest by canceling your monthly payment to Garmin… oh wait a minute, you don’t pay them. TrainerRoad still has outdoor workouts, not sure why you’re demanding that they do anything. No one can be this ignorant so we’ll chalk this up to really bad trolling…and if not, your posts sound like make you sound like Karen, demanding to speak to the manager.

4 Likes

I’m not demanding anything. I’m not even bent out of shape about it at all. And frankly, I like TR, and am fine donating a subscription fee for a few months if need be. Hell, I have a broken foot; I couldnt do an outdoor workout right now even if I wanted to and everything was working. I just find it a bit ridiculous when people say “the outdoor workouts ARE working, dummy!!” Really? Then come hop on my bike and do a TR outdoor workout using my garmin. This is easily testable. People are acting like of there is some reasonable excuse for the workouts crapping out, that that makes the workouts magically work again.

As a business owner, I’m well aware that 20% of my customers are responsible for 80% of my grief…if I let them.

I mean this as a friendly heads up…you are the 20%.

TR is a great product with or without outdoor workouts. If it isn’t good enough for you, take your business elsewhere. End of story.

If it makes you feel better, say bad stuff about TR. Those that know the truth will just ignore you.

I don’t know, man. Your frustrations are understood, but I truly believe they are misguided.

8 Likes

This thread is amazing. This is akin to your Comcast internet being down, so you can’t use TR at home, and you say that it’s TR’s fault and they should get the Comcast internet back up and running because they advertise that you can do workouts at home, but clearly you can’t when the internet is down.

Garmin will not let TR “fix” the Garmin problem. And there is no way TR can create a workaround in a few days.

Sucks that Garmin didnt have better internet/network security, but that’s where we are.

So once it’s back up and running, can someone explain how we (as users) can limit the impact in the future? Can you load your entire base plan into your Garmin when you sign up for the plan? What about loading even more in? Or can you only put in one workout at a time.

I’ve had some time off with a house move etc, and am starting back this week with Base, but my trainer is in a POD, and I’m 100% reliant on outside workouts. Looks like it could be unstructured workouts for the start of Base.

4 Likes

Haha it’s possible you’re right, I’m certainly willing to admit that. And I certainly dont own a business, but I do run one. And you’re right about the 20%.

That said, I doubt I am in that 20%. I’m not sending emails, or leaving nasty threatening voicemails. I’m arguing semantics on a web forum. Dont believe everything you see on the internet :joy:.

I’m really not kicking up a fuss. It’s on me to decide whether I keep paying or not. I either will, or wont. I have no interest in starting a fight with TR over my reasons either way.

1 Like

You’ve said repeatedly that you’re not “an IT guy”.

Well, you’ve got a bunch of people who do have the IT knowledge telling you that what you’re asking for is not feasible and yet you refuse to listen. Did you ask the Doctor to completely heal your foot on the spot, and when they laughed and said it wasn’t possible, ignore them and say “look I’m not a doctor, I don’t understand how this works but I’m paying you solely to help me with this broken foot so I expect it to be healed”…?

6 Likes

I believe new edge series allow you to manually create a workout in the device itself. I’ll test this tonight. It might not be ideal but if you really need outside workout it might be worth it until it’s all back to normal.