TR 2020 Running Thread

They sell well in Asia. I know people in Japan run marathons on them (I have a friend here in the US that have run marathons on them).

It may be a cultural thing. People in the US, for the most part, like more cushion.
At the end of the day…I dont know, but it makes me sad.

What rest ratio are you having in between the sets i have the 3x10 tomorrow

5min rest. Walk/jog

1 Like

Is that for all the interval progressions through the weeks ?

Do you alternate between your interval runs and straight threshold/hard runs? Your rTss seems high for your non-interval runs, but I also have no idea about rTss. :slight_smile: Just comparing against the TR RPE settings for similar times seems to be either 8 or 9’s. :thinking:

That is correct. Though as the intervals have gotten longer I’ve been going a lot slower in them.

The paper i got this from said 70% of threshold avg but hey, whatever gets you ready for the next one

1 Like

My E runs usually clock in at 10 tss per mile. I don’t run super slow but still in the E pace range.
rTss usually a little higher with the elevation

Final one done!
Starting temp 55F ending at 50. It was pretty cold with a tanktop. Explains the lower than usual HR.
2x30min @5:54 and 5:57
Felt as good as it could have been. Thinking I have a sure fire 6:05 HM in me. Might find out on Dec 6. Theres a race not too far from me. Blister I got on my forefoot from the last workout is a little worse, as I was lazy and didn’t tape up my foot before running. At 44miles for the week and still a long run left. Funny how much easier it is to hit this mileage without biking all week.

Next week will be 2 workouts of 5k pace practice. Will do 8-10x400m and 4x800m and easy running, along with the start of low volume full distance base.

How did your run go @Andrew_Sturgess?

1 Like

What program is that? Or is it a data screen from a hrm or watch?

1 Like

Looks like TrainingPeaks to me.

1 Like

Reebok - Forever Floatride Energy 2
In a UK 9.5 they did indeed fit true to size.

I asked for recommendations over a month ago, let that settle and then did my own research and came up with a list of 4 shoes, when I looked back at this thread all three have been recommended.

And just a quick note, WOW, I will be buying another pair, massive bang for you buck, or in my case £54. I have paid £120 for shoes in the past which haven’t been anywhere near as good as these.
If I buy a second pair they are reduced this week to £45 in black and £50 in blue (which is the colour I got this week)… total bargin.

When I put them on I thought that the cushioning was a touch soft (but bare in mind the shoes I am replacing had pretty much failed and become planks in the last week or so, and my second pair I rotate were never that soft, so there will be a bit of perception base on my recent running.) Anyway I though they might adsorb and not give back energy, but that isn’t really the case. After three runs my feeling is that they are pretty versatile.

I was going to also get some Hoka One Rincon 2’s for long runs 10 miles plus, currently I don’t really run beyond 10 miles as I have felt my shoes and joints aren’t up to it, I’ll do a few long runs in the Reeboks and see how I go but I reckon they’ll be good to 15 miles, we’ll see.

As I’m not very fast they seem pretty good for tempo runs, 5k and 10ks.

Shame its dark after work now, itching to knock out a 5km season best.

1 Like

I am glad that you like it!
If you get a second pair be ready to have running shoes for a very long time. I got a pair of the first generation shoe last year. It has over 600 miles and really just showing signs of wear on the sole. I think it could easily last 1000 miles.

I ran the virtual boston on my version 2. No issues what so ever. So you can probably run any distance on them.

I do strides and have done track workout a few times, when I had no other choice, in this shoes. They are a little too soft for my taste for that, but they might work for some. I think for anything under 7 mpm they will work fantastic.

Keep enjoying your new shoes!

I signed up for an IRONMAN at the end of 2019 and started running from zero. I was progressing slowly but surely, peaking at around 60km in a week, Not quite a marathon but hey, all was going good.

Then came COVID, IRONMAN postponed to 2021, lost motivation to run, and just rode my bike. Then one day, I was listening to a podcast about run durability, and they offered a challenge: Run for 100 days in a row until the end of 2020. I’m IN. I’m a sucker for challenges, and having short-term goals keeps me motivated,

Currently, six weeks and 41 runs in. Totals so far as follows:

Time: 22.57 hours
Meters: 238,876
rTSS: 1636

https://fitwith.tech/100daystorun/

4 Likes

HI Ryan, I did the 3X10 min with 5 minute recovery this morning. It felt really good actually to have some structure. I defiantly felt i had to push myself in certain places. I am not sure if my pacing was correct for it. I also struggle a bit that the area i run is very undulating and can be hilly at times and spikes the heart rate during the interval. I put my 5k time into Jack daniels calculator and used the threshold pace. Is that correct ?

1 Like

Technically yes, but may want to aim a smidge slower depending on your pace. MLSS is hard to nail down since it’s a blood test. You should struggle a bit. I would say if you could knock out another 5min interval at the end you are in the right spot.

You should find next week to be just as hard while the previous week (if repeated) would feel a bit easier

2 Likes

i might repeat week 1 just to get it in me and then progress from there i think

2 Likes

The Day has arrived, and I have some great news!
PR 5k by 38 seconds
With a moment of weakness I walked for a few seconds at mile 2.75, and thought what will my forum buds think if I stop?!
To review, this PR was made by doing the threshold progression 2x a week with easy volume in between.
This week, Tuesday was 1.5m warmup with 8x400 5k pace, and yesterday was 4x800 @ 5k pace.

20 Likes

Turns out that I did too much too soon, even though it didn’t think so then. Coming from structured training on the bike I did not expect that running 45minutes on my first run could have caused much stress on my ligaments and knees… until I had a hard time walking for the following 2 days. After that I never gave my body a chance to fully heal.

I went back to only cycling for a week, bought some true running shoes and started doing 4-5K runs for a couple of weeks, then bumped it up to 7-8k and now I’m up to 11-12K plus the occasional shorter rides. There has been no pain to speak of, so that look like a win to me.

I’ll keep building my slow long distance rides slowly until I’m ready to start structured training. Thank you for the advise!

2 Likes

Has anyone dealt with blisters on the bottom of their foot? I’m no rookie when it comes to blisters; usually I get them on my toes or the sides of my foot. They simply callous up and I’m on my way. However this one is right on the bottom of my forefoot, where the foot hinges. It calloused up pretty good, but since the skin has hardened, the bending of the foot is causing the callous to split open. So now I just have this minorly painful crack in the bottom of my foot. Not sure what to do about it if anything at all

Sorry. I am fortunate i have not have that issue in a VERY long time.
Last time was when i was using cotton socks back when i started…
Since i swap to synthetic socks I have never had that issue.
The boston 8 were rubbing me the wrong way when i was using thicker socks. never really caused blister but it had the signs of wanting to create one. Now i use thinner socks with them, and problem solve.
You are a seasoned runner. Do you use the same model socks/shoe?
Does it happen with all socks/shoe?
Have you try glide/Vaseline?

Blisters are just burns. Something is rubbing you the wrong way… maybe glide would do the trick.