TR 2020 Running Thread

I saw that, but couldn’t tell what the interval paces were. :wink:

Yeah, it’s hard to really zero in on exactly what they’re targeting for pace since there’s contradictory info in there. Oh well, it’ll be a good experiment to see how you handle your target pace(s) and the outcome of that at the end for you either way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Talking about shoe’s.

I am an overpronator. My training shoe is the Saucony Omni.
For racing I have currently the Saucony Fastwitch. A light shoe but with little support.

As an overpronator I have little choice in fast racing shoes.
Would be going go for insole and neutral shoe’s be a good solution?

insole in neutral shoe: You won’t know until you try

While I don’t overpronate, my left ankle due to previous injuries prefers some support. I also use high arch insoles. If I run in stability shoes, I never have any issues, other than feeling like I have bricks on my feet. However, if I go neutral, it will depend on the shoe. They’re not all the same. Also, you might be able to get away with the neutral on workout days and go support for when you’re tired or feeling a bit beat up. Again, you won’t know until you try the shoe in with your insole. You will probaly feel go or no go right away.

yes you are right. Just wanted to hear if someone is in same position as me :slight_smile:

I’ll probably go to shop to see what they advise for a race shoe.

The New Balance 1500 might be a good option for you.

Speaking of NB

@kimi I currently have a pair of their Fuelcell Prisms in my rotation. First time w/NB, but I’m loving shoe. It has a medial post, but is very very light stability. For anyone needing stability, this probably isn’t the shoe. I’ve done track sessions as well as long runs in it and absolutely love it. Might be worth checking out.

MLSS Progression #2, A bit faster than intended at 6:05/mile. These September temps are doing wonders for RPE

3 Likes

Workout #3 Feeling super good today 61 degrees, dry and Sunny
3x12min
Complete 2 days off Sunday and Monday.
Interval splits were 6:02/mile, 6:09, and 6:14

2 Likes

Florida is getting lightly less oppressive…
Few days of temp in the low 70s early on. :sob:

1 Like

Feeling like superman today. Completed workout #5, and workout #4 on Tuesday
I’m feeling like these workouts are really accomplishing something. My duathlon for next saturday is shaping up to go pretty well.

Tuesdays 2x18 avg 6:08/mile for each interval

Today: 3x14 HR high, but RPE and respiration lower than average.
6:00, 6:03, and 6:08 for the intervals.

4 Likes

Feeling feisty!
2x21min
First interval 5:57/mile
Second interval 6:04/mile
No Friday workout this week as i will be competing in a duathlon on Saturday

4 Likes

Solid times!!!

I remember when i could do that (well slightly slower…6:15s) few years ago… :sob:

How your bike rides looking?

Kinda checked out, but maintaining some decent fitness.
Set a 10min PR last 2 Fridays ago at 375 watts. Ramp test at 340w putting at 5wkg finally.

And completed Donner yesterday with ease.

As soon as this Progression is over, maybe even after this duathlon. I’m going to hit the gym for 6 weeks or so, and begin a marathon prep to roll into a IM tulsa prep.

Thinking of doing an "8/9 day week’ to manage the fatigue.
This way I’m not doing so many quality sessions in 7 days and easier to plan in my eyes

5 Likes

I hope this is the right thread.

I started running 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I wasn’t smart enough to ask my runner friends about good practices for beginners… so I ran 7,5K on tarmac, with cheap old shoes and not stopping to give my legs a break. Considering that I’m also flat footed, sure enough I got serious discomfort on the outside of my right knee.

Since then I got a pair of Brooks Transcend 7’s and ran shorter distances while walking here and there to allow my knees to strengthen gradually. The pain has never been as strong as the first time (Had to take a 3 day break) and I normally can run again after a day of rest or cycling, but this is nagging me quite a bit because it never seems to go away entirely.

Do you have any experience on nursing ITBS???

1 Like

Well, I can’t comment on ITBS and you seem to have self diagnosed it? Maybe it’s my survivor bias and me being able to run on anything but all this foot type talk seems pretty pseudoscience to me.

Its really all about starting out easy, short, and often . What you could try is for every 1mile or 1.5k walk for 30s, readjust your form, and then keep going. I do this on my long runs all the time. Ill run for 20min or whenver I feel like it, walk a bit, then start running again with new attention on my form.

6 Likes

Agreed. Slow running, very slow progression in weekly mileage, slow progression in intensity. That’s the secret to reducing running injuries. Running is a lot less forgiving to ‘just going all-out’ than cycling is.

3 Likes

Also make sure you have shoes that are not shot.
Most running shoes use EVA foam. Problem with EVA is that they deform with time and will no provide the support needed to run.
There are many shoes now that use TPU (adidas boost is the most recognizable probably). They do compress, but they return to normal. A shoe with TPU will outlast its outsole.

So like the other said. Slow start. Dont try to over do it. Run/Walk strategy is great. And make sure you dont run on 10 yo shoes.

On that note, what would you qualify as a “reasonable” progression in weekly mileage? 10% a week?

1 Like

Depends on your history really. The 10% isnt a hard rule. If your mileage is pretty low
Lets say you’ve been running 15mpw on 5days of running… or whatever number you pick.

If you’ve been doing that successfully for 3/4 weeks. Jack Daniels recommends to add a mile to each run day giving you 5 more miles that week.

Personally I increase my long run at a different rate than my foundation runs. like 1 extra on the foundation run and 2 extra on the long run.

2 Likes

Thank you for your recommendations. I did overcook it and now I regret it.

The question is, can you still run slowly and for short distances? Or is it better to stick to cycling for a week or two?