Tips for ftp test on rollers

I’m a rookie in structured training, rollers and ramp testing.
I did my first ramp test on dumb rollers (Elite Arion Mag) and had no problem controlling the bike in the final minutes. I strongly recommend setting up your rollers next to a wall, so you can lean on your hand when your legs stop spinning at the end of test :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, definitely next to a wall. Even better, I had mine set up next to a set of cupboards half way up the wall, so I just had to put my elbow out to steady myself. In the early days I learnt to clip in and unclip like this. Saved me a lot of falls out o the trail.
Ftp test question:
I now have a watt bike trainer and didn’t think I could do a ramp test with it as it doesn’t have erg mode, but obviously you don’t have erg mode on rollers. Do you just follow the power numbers ?

Yes, you can test in regular Resistance mode (ERG is not a requirement). Just adjust Resistance setting and cadence to match the target power at each step. Works fine.

1 Like

Hi folks! New to the forum but not TR. started in 2016 on a Kickr then moved to IR emotion rollers in 2018. Huge fan. The only problem I have with the ramp test and other high wattage efforts is that the tires squeal on the rollers as I get bogged down in erg. Any one else have this issue?

Make sure you are running near max tire pressure. I also tend to wipe my tires down with rubbing alcohol to remove any aluminum oxide buildup from the tires.

2 Likes