Thoughts on intervals.icu data breakdown

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Thanks David. Mine just recorded a higher LTHR from a 1hr race effort. So now it tells me I can ignore HR at less than my new, higher (accuracy) LTHR, because my engine is idling :slight_smile: Which relaxes me and becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 12.54.09 pm

2 Likes

Is there a way to export all data on to TP?

No but TP should be able to pull the same rides from Strava?

I love the site but have two annoyances.

1. I don’t want to see eFTP, at all. But that’s what shows up on my weekly summary as my FTP test result even though I used power pedals to hit 316 and the ESTIMATE is 313. I wish there was a way to disable the eFtp permanently

1. Setting interval start and finish times is a pain because the time values are In seconds. It would be a lot easier to say “my interval ran from 17:00 to 25:00” rather than “1020 seconds to 1500”

Tx. Easier interval editing is on the todo list. On a desktop you can drag the edges. Not so sure about hiding eFTP … you are the first to ask for that :slight_smile: It is only displayed like that if it has gone up so you shouldn’t see it too often unless you are just starting out.

1 Like

My gripe with eFTP is it’s an estimate, and it estimates it based on various conditions (I guess intensity?) Since my ramp test the eFTP which was already low has been dropping consistently, by the time I’m done z2 base training it’s probably going to relegate me to 280 or so at the rate it’s going. I’m sure it’s a useful feature for someone without a power meter but for me it’s a somewhat useless metric and I just wish there was a setting to get rid of all mentions of it

You do need to do a long enough max effort every now and then with a power meter for eFTP to give you a good number.

1 Like

Actually when I went and looked back at my ramp test in the spring it doesn’t even show a new eFTP even though I got a bump to 310 from 304 on the prior test. And scrolling through my calendar it shows the FTP INCREASE 313w when it was really 316.

I know it’s not the end of the world, but it’s like one of those things annoys you but you tolerate because the rest of the program is awesome. I think real power should override it and make it disappear, the same way zwift doesn’t show me ZPower in my post-ride results when using a power meter.

Zpower and eFTP are different though. Zpower is like virtual power in TR (using trainer resistance curves and speed data to do a ‘look up’ to display power without a power meter) while eFTP is estimating an FTP value from a real power source to give you an FTP value. So with power pedals Zpower is now irrelevant.

To be fair…the FTP you are referring to as your ‘real FTP’ is an estimate also. The ramp test is calculating FTP from a percentage of your max 1 min power of your Ramp Test. eFTP is calculating your FTP from a percentage of your max effort for a duration that’s between something like 4min and 1ish hours.

If I’m using some form of formal testing to determine my FTP (ramp, 20 min, longer style, etc) then I’ll usually ignore the eFTP. But I find it useful if I go a while between tests and I’m racing or doing other hard rides and it gives me a notice for a new eFTP from a long hard effort. I may use that to determine if I should test again to establish new zones for my new, higher fitness.

Also, 313 vs 316 is within the margin of error of almost every power meter on the market. So for all intents and purposes they are basically the same number.

6 Likes

Talking of eFTP … I do like to see it, but I have a question: on my Power page, I see an eFTP value calculated for each of 2 power curves (for two seasons) - but on my Fitness page I see a third, different value calculated (on the marker for ‘today’, next to Fitness, Fatigue and Form) … what’s the basis for the one shown there?

The eFTP number on the power page is the estimate for each power curve using the power curve data only. Same thing applies to W’.

The eFTP on the fitness page is a continuously updated estimate. If you reduce training load it decays slowly. If you do a max effort that produces an eFTP that exceeds the current value then it goes up and you get an “FTP up” achievement on the ride.

You can see the current eFTP value and the estimate for each ride on the ride timeline page (click “Options” to enable):

So you can see how close you are getting to a bump. You can also plot eFTP and ride eFTP together on the fitness page.

If you are coming back after an injury or whatever you can add a calendar entry to set the continuously updated d eFTP to something reasonable so you get “FTP UP” achievements again.

2 Likes

Got it, thanks - so is the ‘live’ FTP on the Fitness page some form of decaying average of recent rides? Just curious because the only ride in roughly the last month or so that gives an eFTP close to the current figure was actually slightly below it - so is there some component of the current eFTP that is from intervals in other rides?

Edit: been comparing eFTP for individual rides to current eFTP - I understand better now. Seems to me that the credit for prior rides in the estimate for current eFTP is longer-lived than I expected.

I love the eFtp, please don’t change it. As already said it let’s me better know how much I’m deviating through the training plan. FTP is already an estimate and is also not static so having something like eFtp makes it easier for me to adjust workouts if needed or to retest if it goes too much in either direction.

4 Likes

Yes the decay is slow and only kicks in if your training load has decreased over the last couple of weeks. The assumption is that if you are doing the same level of training your FTP is not likely to have dropped.

1 Like

In the end times we are currently living in there aren’t races. As such I’m not often out doing maximum efforts. This has resulted in my eFTP always being lower than the FTP I am training at and using for TSS calculations. I also would like an option that let me specify whether to use my manually set FTP or my eFTP as the displayed value

1 Like

Thanks again - if I’d tapped the eFTP figure in the Fitness screen I would have seen the perfectly clear explanation that you’d already provided :ok_hand::wink:

I hate testing, but I can motivate myself to smash out some outdoor efforts every now and then - so interested to see how eFTP from that tracks to the feel of some longer SS/Threshold TR workouts.

Question here regarding data sources - is there any hope of being able to use trainerroad or trainingpeaks as a data source at some point in the future? Does trainerroad even provide such an API? I dislike being dependent on Strava as a essential intermediary between various services I use.

1 Like

I am working on separating Intervals.icu from Strava at the moment. Initially you will be able to use Garmin Connect or manually upload .fit files. Integration with TP is not likely but TR integration is a possibility.

14 Likes

Thanks David - I really like what you have put together and don’t want to be left stranded when Strava makes more changes with little or no notice.

3 Likes