Thoughts on a podcast challenge

I don’t do any cx or tt’s or tri’s, but every time the podcast takes a deep dive into one of these disciplines I learn a whole lot. I say do it! I’m sure there will be something in it for everyone

1 Like

Chad already swims and used to be a fast duathlete. I think he competed at du nationals. He’s been running recently.

Jonathan’s first 5k was 19 minutes on like 7 runs. He’ll most likely beat us on the bike. Swimming is his weakness but we can get him swim lessons.

These guys aren’t coming off the couch either. They’ve got deep endurance backgrounds. I’m probably the most likely one to get injured running (cause that’s happened to me a lot!).

I want to do this for the sheer challenge of it. I think people who don’t do ironmans don’t realize how much walking is done on the run by most of the participants.

I think IM Arizona would be a great course. It’s flat, fast and not super hot. Thanks for the suggestion Brian!

I know we can all finish the swim and handle the bike. Then we can walk the marathon if we want. I think it would be a fun journey!

And for those who don’t care about tri it’s hard for us to pick something everyone has interest in.

This is probably 2 years out still. Next year I’m most likely going to focus on stage races and Jonathan will be laser focused on MTB nationals.

24 Likes

I love the idea! I don’t do any road racing, so that content can get a little boring at times (although I still feel like I learn a lot and listen to the entire PC’s). Can’t please everyone all the time. Do it!!

4 Likes

I have to agree with those that propose a 70.3. A Full IM is a huge time commitment and while some can, most don’t " race" it. It’s a survival event with lots of walking. That’s why I prefer to do OLY and 70.3 as you “race” them. I personally do not agree with the one and done mentally of lots of new triathletes getting into the sport. It feels like their ultimate goal is to finish a 140.6 and then “retire”

Also from a learning experience, a being proponents of good training practices, you’ll get more athletes that can relate to stepping to a 70.3 from other sporting backgrounds.

3 Likes

Hold up; why is this the first I’m hearing about Cape Epic? :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m super into it. Not really interested in tri’s cause I hate running, but would love to hear the process you guys go through.

Doing an IM would be like the 40k TT but without the changes and loss of interest and other issues that came up.

Im sure the gang will learn things from running and swimming that can be applied to cycling. Expand your horizons people!!!

5 Likes

Agreed. Triathalons aren’t in my wheelhouse but there’s always something that can be gleaned for practical use.

5 Likes

Apparently you missed a few recent episodes.

1 Like

I should have used the sarcasm/snarky font😂

2 Likes

Ironman Louisville is great and is in October.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of going straight to IM. Then again I’m an old school triathlete who spent multiple years doing olympics and 1/2’s before even thinking about an IM. These days it seems like it’s IM or nothing.

They are both amazing athletes, but 6 months seems kinda tight. As you know a marathon after 112 miles is very different then a 5k or 10k. I almost feel like a 70.3 would be better if you’re only giving them 6 months. I’d vote for 9 months and you guys do a 70.3 as a training race a few months before the big dance.

I wish IM Lake Tahoe was still around. I’m all gravel/MTB/cross these days but I’d even be willing to make a tri comeback for that one!

2 Likes

Evil! :slight_smile:

Now this will be an interesting follow!

4 Likes

I don’t want to beat a dead horse but “speed” and “durability” are different concerns. I have known more than one fast cyclist who got into running and immediately had a 8:00/mile endurance pace, but ramped up their running mileage too quickly and got injured. I’m not saying that’s what would happen, but I think the risk of ramping up run volume quickly bears some concern. I would discourage my friends from doing it, and I’d hate to see a friendly rivalry between competitive people “in public” push anyone into an injury.

5 Likes

Ironman Arizona is a great event and it often has some really good competition at the top of the fastest age groups. However for those in the middle of swim bell curve it can get really congested on the mostly flat bike course, which takes away from your bike strength.

I think Louisville is potentially good course for this venture. Hilly bike where there are fewer draft packs/better chance for good cyclists to shine. Followed by a flat run course which won’t beat your legs up as bad. Downtown Louisville has a great high energy finish line too.

1 Like

I’m in the camp of: for me personally, a six month period of you and team focused on training for a triathlon wouldn’t be of interest. The bike training would be similar / repeat of the TT work, and as I don’t do triathlons, the run / swim training wouldn’t be applicable.

If you are going to do it… Do it properly

2 Likes

I also have no interest in tris. But please see my post asking for more mtb topics! :wink:

3 Likes

I know there are some expressing no interest in triathlon, but not me. I would be happy to see you all tackle a Tri. Some of the past challenges have not been of great interest but I have still learnt plenty.

4 Likes

I really like the idea of you setting challenges and doing them; IM is slightly on the edge as a lot of people dont care about the run and the swim but you have plenty of triathletes here so its good to appeal to them.
You need to do some gravel training like DK200 and also some of the big Euro fondos like Haute Route as well
It’s not just good content, quite frankly not doing so damages your credibility somewhat. Doing your own plans to train for these events will (a) possibly lead to insights and improvements and (b) give you a better understanding for what your TR cyusomers experience. And for a customer led business there cannot be any better feedback loop than that

3 Likes

I have no personal interest in doing triathlons but would find this an interesting journey to follow, so I think the challenge is a good idea

Also like the idea of 6 months to go to a half distance event instead of full distance - more achievable distance and less likely to be disrupted by injury

3 Likes