The #CAKEDOPING Thread

I have no cakes to add… but wow - best thread!

2 Likes

In this neck of the woods it is a straight fight between:

Appelgebak (met… of course)

and

Stroopwafel (but these are more of an in-ride fuel)

Oliebollen are really an off season thing and an excellent form of ballast to anchor those windy day rides. You will crawl home with one of those inside you. The are made from the same stuff as black holes and once they hit your stomach will increase in mass untill all you can do is lie on the sofa with a mug of coffee and sigh contentedly at your fouled up diet and training plan.

3 Likes

Stroopwafel FTW! Pretty sure this is what all the Dutch and Belgian classics guys are fuelling on:

8 Likes

I’ve been doing this too! Pinch of salt/teaspoon-ish of syrup? I don’t think I’ll go back to plain water, my stomach seems much less sloshy since I started. I’ve been using it for general hydration during the day too.

More in keeping with the thread: I ate half a lemon cake directly out of the bakery container after my long (indoor) ride last weekend. Lemon cake isn’t usually my jam but it was delicious.

1 Like

I’d never heard of these things before joining the TR forum. Just looked them up on Google and they’re readily available in the UK. God help me!

2 Likes

They’re up there with Pringles in their moreishness. I have learned not to buy the big packs with 10 to a bag, as unless I have people to share with that inevitably means eating 10 in one sitting…

They’re also good for dunking, and if you put one on top of a steaming cup of coffee for a minute before eating it nicely softens up the caramel into a gooey mess of deliciousness.

1 Like

This thread is dangerous

4 Likes

This post should be flagged for its content :wink:

5 Likes

The street vendors in Holland sell freshly made saucer sized units of warm dripping ambrosia trapped between a pair crispy caramel manna disks…

They are to those pre-packed things what cresting the Col-du-Télégraphe is to jumping over the local flyover.

you have been warned.

1 Like

Get a nice hot coffee, put the stroopwafel over the top and the centre gets all nice and gooey :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Ok, since we’re into local stuff, might as well go all-in.

Pouding chômeur.

Literally means “unemployed pudding”. A cheap recipe (hence the name) that you make with brown sugar if you really are cheap, but maple syrup if you have any common sense. My mother used to do one to die, kill or sell your sister for.

4 Likes

I put a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup in with the vanilla protein shake. Makes it way more tasty and carbs and protein for recovery.

2 Likes

Tasty but way too sweet for me along with things tarte au sucre and all the other ones that come with having a Quebecois wife.

1 Like

Another Ottawan?? That’s makes 3 TR users here that I know of. :grin:

2 Likes

I don’t understand the part about tarte au sucre and too sweet. There’s nothing that a tall glass of cold milk can’t fix.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing banana bread recently. After ride versions made with white flour, and a “healthier” version that I eat for breakfast with whole wheat flour. This basically:

2 Likes

My teeth hurt just looking at one :open_mouth: Not a real sweet-tooth kind of person, but cookies are my kryptonite

1 Like

I approve of this thread

4 Likes

Me too.

Locally our stop has some like this, bit of a mare to decide which one!

2 Likes

Whoa… That looks insane.

1 Like