Targeting 200 watts for 1 hour

How are these xx minutes power numbers calculated/determined anyway? Does 200 W for 60 min mean you do not drop below 200 W for 60 minutes, or is it the accumulated time at that power over a ride, which has to be over 60 min in this case?

Generally average is used. So you could do 30 min at 150w and 30 min at 250w and average out to 200w.

1 Like

I’m trying to hold a consistent above 200 watt/hour pace. The most efficient and likely easiest is to hold around 205 and not let it drop and no spikes. If it dips below 200 cause I staring at the roads and cars and not the PM that’s okay. Safety comes over perfection. But the PM has to show 200 power. Regular and normalized shouldn’t matter cause I won’t coast as it’s a 7 grade, both need to be above 200 watts for my personal victory.

2 Likes

great goal!!!

lots of great advice on training strategies here. there is another angle as well which is how you approach the event itself.

squeaking out a personal best for an hour will mean emptying the tank. the longer you can survive into the effort without pushing over the edge the better. if I were trying this I would choose a place that was the easiest to control the effort and keep it butter smooth. a flat road with almost no pauses or stops would be the ideal. weather that has favorable temperatures and low wind will also help.

lead into the event like a race. train, rest, recover, hydrate, sleep, go

Thanks. As mentioned, I do have a spot. Its a very consistent 7% grade not many cars and no stop signs.

OP here. I did an FTP ramp today and it went from 179 to 196 (same power meter each time). I did the test on my Keiser bike which is about 20 watts lower than the outdoor bike with Garmin vector pedals that my goal is on. So I figure I’m roughly 215 FTP. So am getting closer. Holding 92.5% IF is tough but doable.

I’ll likely wait for a well rested/fed day and given my 200 watt test another go. No harm trying right!

5 Likes

Go for it! You are making my head spin using power from two different sources LOL

1 Like

Yeah it’s a pain in the a$$. I wish I could sync them without selling and/or buying new equipment but there is no option for it with dumb devices.

1 Like

Working along with you. Did 2x25 @ 90% for the first time yesterday. Next FTP test in two weeks.

3 Likes

Sweet dude…kick ass take names!

3 Likes

Dear Biking Gods/Goddesses

I chose a day where I was well rested, hydrated and fed. It was not too hot and a bit of a breeze. I was blessed by the cycling Gods and Goddesses today and hit my target. :smile:

I accomplished my goal of 1 hour holding 200 watts uninterrupted. I had a short warmup (lap 1) and then tried to hold steady at 205 watts (looking at the graph it was pretty consistent so I am happy about that). In the end I landed 207 average, 206 normalized (Lap 2) so my wattage was very steady. At the end of Lap 2 I was spent, but didn’t feel like I was going to blow up or puke. I attribute that partly to the steadiness of the power.

My heart rate was good too. I have a bit of a hummingbird heart. I settled in at the start (once I got going for few minutes) at ~160bpm. By the completion I was at ~170bpm. (I am typically very unhappy/cooked at 180 bpm and a max at ~193 bpm so I had a bit of room to move).

After the hour, I stopped for 2 minutes, took in a gel and some more fluid and managed another 20 minutes at 207 watts average to finish the mountain climb (lap 3). I had some sprinting mixed in their and I breathing pretty hard at the finish.

Finally down the mountain for lap 4.

For me this is my first time breaking 200 watts for an hour so I am happy to break the psychological barrier!

I’m a heavier guy at 228 lbs and 30% bf. So my next goal is getting the waist line under control!

17 Likes

Reporting back…I hit 206 normalized/207 average.

7 Likes

:+1:t3: Rock on dude! :metal:t3:

Awesome job man! Must feel good to go out and crush it :slight_smile: Cypress is a great mountain for it, love doing intervals on there during the spring and summer.

Nice one :clap:

Well done mate! Huge result and one that was well deserved!

Congrats on smashing your goal!

Quick plug for the weight loss accountability thread if you’re switching focus to weight loss. I’ve found it helpful myself.

Such a steady power output! It is like you have a build in ERG mode :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Well done :+1:

Yep already on it!

1 Like