Target Power data field missing after latest Garmin update

I was on the phone with garmin today for 2.5 hours with no luck. They took a ton of info and are building a case. In the mean time I reached out to tr support, again, and they tried it on their end and it worked on their device. So now I’m not sure what to think. Everyone has been super helpful though. Im new to outdoor workouts so I’ve never eve. Had the opportunity to use target power as it has not worked since I started. But I can definitely see how it would make the workout easier for a type A like myself.

3 Likes

Even with the range thing rather than the single number we had before mine is still showing lap average rather than 3s. I push workouts from TR.

Anyone know how to get this to just show 3s for the green target selector thing? Having it be lap average for long intervals is worthless.

Any official word from TR on this?

This is a feature of how TR pushes workouts to Garmin.

Recreate the workout in Garmin Connect or TrainingPeaks. File a support ticket with support@trainerroad and ask them for official stance on this one.

Hey! So it sounds like the Garmin 1030, 830, and 530 models now need to use the “Target Power” field nested within the “Workouts” category for target power! :star2:

3 Likes

Hi Ivy, for that to work our understanding is that TrainerRoad needs to change how the workout is sent to Garmin. Can you confirm?

We are testing to confirm! Will of course keep you all updated!

2 Likes

Thx!!!

1 Like

Update:
We just tested it, and it’s working like we’d expect it to!
The number you see in the “Target” field (it’s referred to as “Target” and not “Target Power” when selecting this in the data screens) should be instantaneous power. :100:

1 Like

Does the “Target” field show “instantaneous power” when workout is synced from TR?

Mine showed “lap power” yesterday.

Unfortunately this is not the data that Target Power used to display. It displayed the exact power required in the interval not a changing power number. As stated by the title, target power is the exact power required to complete the interval, not a zone or average. This was working until the garmin v6.0 update.

1 Like

today i made a indoor ride with TR Outside workout loaded to my Edge 830 with Firmware 6.0 and everything was fine with the datafields, worked as expected as with older firmware releases og Edge 830

That field just shows step average power for me when loading a TR outdoor workout with the latest Edge 530 firmware and the target power field I used previously is now blank.

2 Likes

during the last betas on Edge 830 Garmin changed something for the datafields, during the beta phase i had probs with 2 other datafields (estimated body temp and Xert), they reseted to timer fields, both i replaced with the original one and they are still here nd working as before.

Thanks for the update! The team is still working on fixing these fields. Until then, a reasonable workaround would be to use this field as the target power field and the lap power field (i.e. you no longer need a field dedicated to lap power like you would previously). Instead of the lap power field, athletes can use a new “3s power” field to see power.
We’ll of course provide new workarounds or updates as their available, and we’re working on updating our recommended Garmin fields accordingly!

My 830 isn’t showing target power still on the outdoor workouts

2 Likes

Can you confirm you’re using the “Target Power” field nested within the “Workouts” category, and not just ‘target’?
You can always check in with support if you think something is amiss, and they’ll be happy to walk you through the new field setups. :+1:t2:

I’ve used trainer road outdoors since January and it’s always shown target power in the data fields until last week . My screen usually always shows 3s power, lap power and target power but just target power isn’t showing . I’m not to good with technical side of things so I’m not sure what software update it’s on, it usually updates automatically

Our support team can help you out! Getting those custom fields set up on a Garmin, especially after an update, can be tricky, but they’re happy to walk you through it! You can email them at support@trainerroad.com, or drop them a line here.

2 Likes

I have the same problem witch my Edge 1030 since the latest software update. (v10.00).
I was using the target power field nested in Indoor Trainer category. Seems this data field broken (there are the same reports in the garmin forums).

There is no fiield “target power” in the “workouts” catagory.

The “Target” fiield in the “workouts” catagory is giving me the step. av. pwr. field with the suggested watt RANGE. Would be good to change the step avg pwr. to 3s power, which could be done be the workout creater according to the garmin forums. This could be a workaround while we are waiting for an software update from garmin.

I used the Target field in workouts, it’s always a 20 watt range, and the middle power value is what TR prescribes in the workout. If you have an interval that says 260-280 on the Garmin, just shoot for 270