Tapering for a Leadville Qualifier - How to Fit into Training Plan

Based on @Nate_Pearson suggestions, I’ve set up my Leadville training plan with SSBMV I and II, Sustained Power Build MV, and then Century Plan MV. I will be mixing in some outdoor rides including some long, flat road rides, but also some long rolling XC mountain bike rides which will add some above threshold work.

I’ve decided to do the Wilmington Whiteface 100k, both as a practice event to test gear, nutrition, crewing, etc, but also to try and improve my starting coral for Leadville. So while being a “B” race, it carries some importance. The race is June 1st, which puts it at the end of Week 7 of Sustained Power Build MV with a rest week to follow before starting the Specialty plan.

Overall I think this works out really well with the rest week after the June 1st event. However the question I have is how much should I taper during the week leading up to June 1st. There are two tough workouts scheduled that week - Shortoff +4 and Stromlo +4, along with Carter.

I thought perhaps changing Shortoff +4 to just Shortoff (reducing TSS from 121 to 71) would be an option early in the week on Monday or Tuesday. Cutting back Stromlo +4 to Stromlo would also cut TSS a fair bit (119 to 80) but would still put a pretty tough threshold workout (4x8min) three days before the event.

Any thoughts on this and what might be a better option? I don’t want to cut back too much because the goal is still to build towards Leadville, but also don’t want to have a bad day on June 1st.

Did you mean week 7 or week 5?

If it’s week 5, I’d swap Stromlo +4 to Wednesday, Fletcher to Thursday, and then add in Truuli on Friday, race Saturday, and skip the Sunday ride (or do recovery ride).

If it’s week 7, I’d swap Stromlo to Tuesday and put Shortoff (regular) on Thursday, add an opener on Friday, race Saturday, skip the Sunday ride (or do recovery ride).

I don’t mind a bit of VO2 max work a few days before an event, but I agree with not wanting sustained threshold that close.

Sorry - week 7. Made the edit.

Kuttermax,

Shortoff on Tuesday and Stromlo on Thursday the week of the event. I would skip any threshold work. For 100K event you are looking at a fair amount of time in or around threshold. Add a few short openers on Friday to keep the legs happy.

Have fun!

Be Well and Ride On!

I thought perhaps changing Shortoff +4 to just Shortoff (reducing TSS from 121 to 71) would be an option early in the week on Monday or Tuesday. Cutting back Stromlo +4 to Stromlo would also cut TSS a fair bit (119 to 80) but would still put a pretty touch threshold workout (4x8min) three days before the event.

Have you done the whiteface race before? This will be my fourth time doing that one. It’s a great event to move up in corral although now that they have switched the start to waves of 4 min it only matters to who you want to ride around for the first 20 miles of Leadville. That being said the start of this one has been like a XC race 20-30 miles per hour into the dirt section and then 2-4 percent average grade climb for a few miles putting you above threshold right from the gun if you want to be with the leaders group…I would not taper the intensity that week only taper the volume as your going to need to be comfy sitting Anerobic for first 15-20 mins of this one …then settling in to sweat spot

@gordon50 With Stromlo at 4x8min at 102% FTP, that would be slightly above threshold work two days before. I think flipping that to the early in the week workout, per @stevemz and then do Shortoff (regular) on Thursday.

@reganm1 This will be first time doing Whiteface. I’ve read whatever I can find online and your comments are helpful. The start will be important and hopefully I can get settled in with a group of similar level riders not too far after the start. I’ve read that the back half is more difficult so good pacing required. I’m not worried about the single tract as I’ll likely find it a welcome break. I know the course changed a bit over the years, especially the last part. It sounds like there is some steep singletrack climbs near the end?

I plan to ride a light hardtail with a 100 SC fork. I have a dropper for the bike that I likely will use in Leadville, but it sounds like the dropper is overkill for Whiteface. As long as conditions are dry, I’ll plan to use a fast XC tire like Thunder Burt/Racing Ralph combo.

Appreciate the input so far!

I think it depends on how your body reacts to/needs a taper.

I’ll be doing the Silver Rush in July, and I’ll do a taper week before that. Same intensity, but about 40% of the volume.

Same for me, it will be a B race, but am hoping to use it to get into the green corral.

I’ve found I respond well to a taper before a long ride. Better for me to be rested vs “sharp”.

1 Like