Supplement Regimen

There was a thread recently:

@mcneese.chad can you merge the entries, thanks!

2 Likes

I take a fish oil capsule daily just to be sure I’m getting my RDA of it, but overall I try to get all nutrition from food. In the spirit that alternative medicine that works is called ‘medicine’, supplements that work are called ‘doping’ :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great thread! For what its worth, I take a Soy Protein Isolate Powder (via Bulksupplemets). I only take it after hard workouts as a recovery drink. At my level - if I’m even on a level - the benefits can’t be life altering. I perceive nothing either beneficial or deleterious (check, used that word today) either way. Is this stuff worth taking?

i take collagen mixed with my morning coffee. could be placebo but i swear it helped my knee soreness/stiffness under the knee cap.

3 Likes

I’d do bloodwork and adresse any deficiencies first, for me (like many other) I was low on Iron and VitD. I’m also taking magnesium supplements. Careful on the pairing.
Trisodium Phosphate taste horrific (I’m one to try anything but good lord doing that cycle was the hardest)
Citruline Malate felt like it helped… hard to say

It’s been a little while since anyone posted on this thread, so I hope that someone is listening…

Beet juice is repeated recommended. Or rather, something that provides nitrates. To promote time to exhaustion amongst other things. Something I have found it difficult to get information on is dose.

The AIS / IOC recommendation is 400 - 500 mg of nitrate 2 - 3 hours before the event. But in terms of beets juiced, how much is that? In terms of rhubarb [which sounds a much better idea to me!] how much is that? In terms of arugula, how much is that?

And if it’s juiced beets, how on earth do you manage to get the volumes that Pete was describing [a whole big beet] down your throat?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

what form of trisodium phosphate do you use? I am familiar and like Bulk Supplements for the other things. I was thinking about adding TriSod P for some A races.

I use the food grade trisodium from loudwolf.

There might be better priced options but I have a soft spot in my heart for loudwolf.

Beta Alanine: Beta Alanine Cycling Endurance Supplements Guide | EVOQ.BIKE

Citrulline malate: Citrulline Malate Benefits for Cycling Performance | EVOQ.BIKE

2 Likes

Same.
Topical Edge before a race and after. Coffee/Red Bull before a crit. I’m going to try some beta alanine as well

1 Like

Met Brad Huff and Jeff who is the CEO of AMP Human PR lotion (aka Topical Edge) at Sea Otter this past week. It was interesting listening to what they had to say. Jeff was surprised when they got a huge order from The New England Patriots with overnight delivery. He called the team just to verify the order and it turns out the owner of Sky (at the time) recommended AMP to the owner of the Patriots. Not sure about Sky but, the Patriots pay for it. Another pro football team uses it now as well. Pittsburg maybe? I forget…

1 Like

I’ve been using it religiously since around July. Usually just for races. Four days of crit racing in St Louis - used it before and after, also used my air relax legs, and I was still fresh on the last day. A few of my friends use it, but surprised not many more do. Maybe they don’t mention it? I’ve told a few teammates about it when they thought I was rubbing on embro when it was 75* … Yeah, no.

1 Like

Just started on the giants milk after a ginger man with blue eyes told me it can increase your wattage.

6 Likes

I try to have two cups of lemon verbena tea every evening (actual leaves, no extract). I consider this tea as a part of my supplement regimen. It relaxes me in the evening and helps me fall asleep faster. There are some studies claiming it reduces muscle fatigue/inflammation and improves recovery:

I am always worry about taking iron supplements because of side effects but also because it needs to be done with caution because you can definitely over do it. if you do it it can have a very negative effect on your health

other than that I take

• Pure Encapsulations - Athletic Nutrients

• Bone Broth Protein Powder

• Fish Oil

• Lastly, I take Apple cider vinegar 15 min before each meal. But only do this because I have poor digestion and poor absorption due to low stomach acid

Natural supplements

Besides cycling, I love beekeeping (Father is a beekeeper and I’ve always helped him). These little creatures produce some magical healthy products. Besides the honey we get from them (we don’t take all of their honey), they also bless us with Pollen, royal jelly and propolis. You could see these as natural supplements. I take them every day (especially propolis). In my belief there also is a direct link to Performance (N=1) + other many proven health benefits. I would advise people to go visit local beekeepers or find a good local supplier. The raw honey also has amazing health benefits. (Save the bees!!)

Hey Batwood, did u get any feedback on this topic? I’ve had the same question for some time.

What is TriSodum Phosphate supposed to help with?

I’m surprised more of you aren’t taking creatine. I started taking beta-alanine and creatine a month ago and feel like it’s been positive. I had a great January - two Strava KOMs and multiple top 10s on local climbs (I usually never get a top 10 on a climb).

Yes, creatine doesn’t help with “endurance” but it helps when you have to sprint and it helps if you are trying to build muscle. (I started weight lifting in Nov/Dec).

RESULTS:

Creatine supplementation was found to have no influence on the cardiovascular system, oxygen uptake, and blood lactate concentration. The fall in blood glucose during the exercise test was significantly reduced after consumption of creatine. Although interval power performance was significantly increased by 18%, endurance performance was not influenced.

CONCLUSIONS:

We conclude that creatine supplementation at doses of 6 g daily has positive effects on short-term exercise included into aerobic endurance exercise.

Alex Hutchinson:

John Hawley’s group:

Creatine + carb loading resulted in a faster 4km run up to a sprint at the end of a race.

Sounds exactly like my Saturday group ride - massive speed on a flat section before a final sprint.

Personally, I thought the creative might help with the weight lifting the most.