Super Food - Greek Yogurt

Apologies: I have done a search and can’t find a topic or the the Podcast episode where @Nate_Pearson was singing the praises of Greek yogurt.

Remind me again why it is so good for you please.

I mainly eat fruit, raw oats, honey and Greek yogurt for breakfast. I want to know why though.

Thanks as always.

It’s basically pure protein (at least the fat-free unflavored kind), so if you do any strength training it’s pretty great. I get mix in some cocoa powder and sucralose with mine and it’s like chocolate pudding

2 Likes

It’s low or no fat, high protein, and it’s incredibly filling for the low calorie count.

I don’t think of it as filling a big nutritional need (it’s high protein but nothing like a protein shake, for example). But let’s say I’m about to go to bed and feel a bit hungry - a couple of spoonfuls will make me feel really full for hardly any calories.

I also add it to smoothies and juices to make them smoother and creamier, again for little calorie cost.

4 Likes

Screenshot_20190404-081657_Chrome
I put a couple tablespoons of trader joes ancient grain mix in my greek yogurt…makes it kinda crunchy and even more filling…also adds some carbs.

3 Likes

I recently discovered Icelandic yogurt and it’s been a great breakfast mixed with some granola. 24g of protein for 170 calories is hard to beat for how filling it is.
Capture

5 Likes

14g would be somewhere around 7g per 100g right? That’s pretty high in sugars.

2 Likes

If you stick with plain Greek Yogurt you can keep the carb count down, but anything that is flavored, even vanilla, is usually higher unless artificial sweeteners used.

I don’t think @Nate_Pearson eats it anymore as he has made reference to being off dairy completely.

2 Likes

I usually fall around 50-60g of sugar a day. Works for me.

1 Like

Easily customizable.

Easily ingestible.

High in protein.

Cheap ‘enough’ for the amount of protein you can get.

Satisfying when you have those little urges/crashes.

Oddly there’s always a brand on sale at my supermarkets.

Problem is i was starting to abuse it a bit too much so I cut out a lot of dairy (still have some but in more moderate amount) and i miss my greek yogourt but it gets me to be more creative.

2 Likes

It’s not high in protein.
No real difference to other 100% natural yoghurts.
Make sure you choose something with no added sugar and preferably organic.
Eat no more than 500ml per week.
It’s not particularly natural for humans., but ok in moderation, like other dairy products.
Marketing is what has boosted its image.

5 Likes

I’m not critiquing your lifestyle. :slight_smile: I’m just saying there are other products that are equal or higher in protein but less in sugars.

2 Likes

Natural yoghurt or “Greek style” natural yoghurt has 4g to 5g protein per 100g
Fage Total has 10.3g
Arla skyr (Icelandic) has 11g

If you get the real thing and not Greek style, it’s significantly thicker, more filling, and higher in protein.

4 Likes

Make your own. Easy and cheaper.

1 Like

Welcome to one of my favorite foods, I always buy the plain! I usually eat it with a banana and 2.5 tbsp of hemp seeds.
Since it is thicker it may taste richer. And because it’s concentrated, it’s higher in protein than regular yogurt. If you want even more proteins, you can even mix it with protein powder. Not a big fan myself, but a friend of mine like such kind of shakes.

upd: another delicious thing just came to my mind. For a smoothie that replaces a meal I’ll mix one scoop (vanilla or cookies and cream) with plain non-fat greek yogurt, a half-cup of oatmeal, some raspberries, and a little non-fat milk. Calories, calcium and protein. Yum!

2 Likes

I make it in 2 gallon stockpot, strain down to a gallon using percolator coffee filter and it is some seriously dense high protein good quality food for very little cost and lasts for a couple weeks easily. Don’t understand why people worry about some carbs to go along with a ton of fat free protein when cycling. Seems like a near perfect post ride recovery food - it’s the classic chocolate milk case made even better!

2 Likes

You don’t even need to mix it with a protein “shake”, just drop a scoop of whey in and mix it up dry as it where. cookies and cream flavour I’m using at the moment with Skyr. Add in some dried fruit for texture and bobs your uncle. There’s like 60g of protein minimum in around 300 calories using a full tub.

2 Likes

Non/low-fat Greek yogurt with honey or maple syrup gets you about 2:1 carbs:protein, which is the ideal post-workout recovery ratio for women. (The 4:1 chocolate milk classic is too light on protein.)

3 Likes

It is a low fat food which is beneficial for the muscle building. The Greek Yogurt contains the more protein as compared to normal Yogurt.

1 Like

Yup–this is what I do for my post-workout recovery. It also has a lot of BCAAs. At home, post-workout or ride, I have non-fat plain greek yogurt with honey. When traveling (e.g. after a race or group ride that I drove to), I typically just have a cup of fruit-flavored non-fat greek yogurt. Non-fat is important as a recovery food because the fat apparently can interfere with the protein/BCAA absorption.

2 Likes

Source?

Fat is what stimulates the hormones to signal satiety. This from college biology.

1 Like