Stretching hamstrings bad for you?

Was looking up ways to stretch my hamstrings to make myself more flexible for yoga. They really are tight and it seems to stronger I get the tighter and less flexible I get.

Was considering getting a band to help stretch them as I see a lot of yogis using, many of them being amazingly flexible.

Then I saw this article which says not to try stretching the hamstrings!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stop-stretching-your-hamstrings_b_58cdb802e4b0e0d348b34421?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEfGTXW3gkpt4JjruaWgO_iIvHfLmARU0RhVADXmLGu36J1ylZdoTHvCpexov8_0eqe-75qJla4C_S8P3k3ekhq2Qot4DKyVYlvnQSHSCN1bjPcfY6ZVwqOpJFvzSuUT05AoKsZJzw6xyrldkEROliIteazfpoTU7ZmhkHgPxMmG&guccounter=2

What you guys think, is it best to avoid going down this path. I’m wondering why the article makes stretching the hams seem so bad when there seems to be a lot of strong flexible people around.

I would suggest listening to the latest podcast with Kelly starret

1 Like
1 Like

Empirical evidence here, but I have struggled periodically with tendinitis and other issues related to joints. I do stretch, but found that if I stretch before rides, I can’t dig deep enough, or the muscles won’t engage properly (or as properly as I’d feel they would). I cannot envision an athletic lifestyle without stretching. I mix stretching (first) with massage stick (second) and that has given me freedom from overuse issues.