Strength training around low volume training plan?

Hi

I’m just returning after a couple of months of the bike. Iv been doing a bit of running and a good amount of own body weight strength training.
I’m actually feeling rather good, not super fit but definitely stronger than past years when all iv done is cycle.
I really want to continue my strength training, hopefully just own body weight stuff.
Was hoping somebody would have some guidance for things to do and how best to fit around a low volume plan.

I can’t wait to get back into my training, love TrainerRoad … FTP test on Tuesday, should be interesting :thinking:

Many thanks in advance for any help, my first time reaching out

It depends on your schedule. I am very routine-driven and tend to workout in the mornings. So, if I were following a LV plan where rides are, say, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, I would strength train Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, with Sundays off. I would strength train at the same time of day as your rides, so you’re on a very consistent daily schedule.

1 Like

With that shedule you dont get enough rest.

An alternative would be doubles - lifting on the same days that you ride. For example, ride in the mornings and lift in the evenings.

There are a lot more variables to consider, though, including how intense the strength training sessions are; whether they focus on upper, lower, or whole body; available times to train each day; etc.

1 Like

I ride low vol M-W-F and strength train Tues and Thur. I’m in base now once I get to build I’ll strength train on Mon and Wed to get Tues and Thur as full recovery. One day of the weekend I ride outdoors with buddies weather permitting or a Z2 Zwift ride if Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate.

1 Like