Strava Raises Prices But Can’t Tell You How Much It Costs Anymore

19 Likes

On top of that, their inability to change your country association seems like they may have issues with paying the right tax to the right jurisdiction. Whether its a big deal or not would depend on how many of their paying members have moved to different countries.

3 Likes

Presumably Strava pay tax whereever they are registered, not where their customers are.

Ahahahahaha.

If you’re doing it right, no. Taxation is complicated and there’s companies that exist just to ensure it’s done properly and remitted to the respective tax authority.

2 Likes

That isn’t an explnation. Why do they not have to pay tax where they are registered?

Yeah, that’s not how tax works anymore. There’s been a huge push to what is called ‘market based sourcing’ which means you pay tax where your customers are, regardless of whether you are there or not.

4 Likes

Sorry, I should have clarified further and @ACree did (thanks).

3 Likes

Ok, say in you’re in the US and you’re headquartered in Delaware and are a Delaware corp. But you provide services to CA residents. CA will want your sales sourced to CA and a portion of your corporate income allocated and taxed there, and will want you to collect CA sales tax from those residents you sell to. They typically want that sales tax by the rate applicable at each zip code. That is a huge simplification of course, because state taxes are complicated. International tax is even more complicated.

4 Likes

But does it matter where their customers actually are, or just where they were paying for something? Eg, if the customer pays in the UK, they pay tax in the UK, even if the customer actually lives in France.

(Maybe thats a question for strava’s tax people)

That is the issue. Again simplifying. If the customer is in France, the sale should be recorded as occuring in France. If the account was originally set up in the UK and can’t be changed, Strava would be overpaying in one country and underpaying in another. In the US, our sales tax is in addition to the price, so the customer could be wrongly paying more or less too, and the tax that should be going to their actual locality is going to a different one.

Taxes are complicated, and they get really ugly when companies don’t build systems that allow the needed data to be captured.

1 Like

To add on to what @ACree said it’s referred to as place of supply if you want to go down that rabbit hole further.

1 Like

Every country has their own rules. Canada requires tax on residents based on location. They don’t tax sales in other jurisdictions.
Rules keep expanding so rules that require those providing services to residents can become taxable. TrainerRoad is now collecting tax on Canadian residents even though they are not in Canada.

Expand the countries and different rules and it becomes very complicated.

1 Like

Thanks to @dcrainmaker for taking the time to obtain Strava pricing from 75 countries.

Is it possible to cancel your annual subscription renewal, and then resubscribe as a user in Brazil (who will be paying the equivalent of US$30 for an annual subscription)? Or will subscription pricing always be based on the country you signed up from?

I canceled my annual subscription when @dcrainmaker story first came out as I didnt want to to auto renew. I just went to look at my subscription options and it only gives me the option of a annual subscription at 79.99. I really only was a subscriber to create routes for a few months so I would have considered doing the monthly subscription for 3 or 4 months but as that is not a option i may just do the Ride With GPs monthly

1 Like

If it can be done, it would be done by using a VPN.

3 Likes

I don’t get why they just don’t have ads like every other social media site. If you want to get rid of the ads then pay for it. Otherwise everyone has access to the same features.

1 Like

Well as shady and stupid as they have handled this whole mess, my sub is due in Sept and it s @79.00. Thats one coffee a month. My lunch is 25.00 now a days. Its all relative. I am good with the $1.60 a month increase

4 Likes

Your lunch is $25? :exploding_head:

2 Likes

@dcrainmaker’s second video is even funnier than the first. The Fight Club references are gold. As was the grammatically weird sub clause denying “others” the “right” to communicate price changes. :rofl:

And the seamless integration with the sponsor read … while uncovering a clear violation of EU laws :cook: :kissing_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

I consider clubs and challenges ads

6 Likes