Strava now charging for the end of year recap

Just noticed today that the Strava Year in Sport is now a premium only feature. Yet another feature that was free that they’ve removed. Seems like they’re regressing.

6 Likes

Every company needs a business model?!

29 Likes

it’s not a core feature of course they should paywall it. Besides, Strava premium is Pennies

32 Likes

$80/yr is a lot of pennies for KOM leaderboards, which is basically they’re only exclusive feature.

11 Likes

The good news is you don’t have to pay for it.

22 Likes

Their is also strava beacon, fitness level tracking, routes/maps (including the ability to draw a route on mobile. Something other platforms suck at) as well as being able to compare segment efforts in a simple way.

11 Likes

$60/yr for me at least. Free tier is still plenty useful for lots of people. I think it’s a good pay structure that makes a lot of sense.

6 Likes

Trainerroad is $200/yr and they don’t do a year in review. Talk about bad value

22 Likes

:rofl:

Morale of the story - no business can make everyone happy.

21 Likes

We’ve achieved Peak Truth.

/end thread

CMD: format TR forum

:wink:

18 Likes

Phew! I thought I was being forced to buy it. Thanks for that info friend.

4 Likes

Looks like I’ll have to drop TR now.

3 Likes

Since TrainingPeaks paid only does kJ of work by day/week, here is my current end of year review:

Second half of the year looks up and to the right! :tada: No more slacking due to the heat!

Sorry, Strava premium on the web doesn’t support year in review.

It is risky for subscription based models to tweak terms as it shines a light on whether you need the premium offering. In the last couple weeks, I have determined I can live without being a velo club member at Cycling Tips and now will try to revert to free Strava.

4 Likes

And I’d be willing to pay for Strava, just don’t think it’s worth $80 a year for what you get. Garmin has live tracking for free. Intervals.icu has way better ride analysis for free. RidewithGPS has route making and exportable routes for your headunit (and it works better IMO) for free. I’m just now seeing what you get for that price.

9 Likes

The VeloViewer yearly in for graphic is still free and, IMO, has some of the coolest graphics available.

9 Likes

Garmin Connect is great… it’s free and has all the data analysis I need. Strava has the social “everyone in one place” social media thing going for it (though you get that for free). The leaderboards are nice but seems like more and more ebikes are taking over the Top 10.

5 Likes

I’m a current Strava subscriber. I was hoping that since Strava’s founders had returned, there’d be more innovation. But so far, meh. Their route planner feature is neat (is that Premium-only?), but a lot of them seem like gimped features and not a lot of else happening.

I don’t mind paying for a good service, but currently, I am not sure if I am getting my money’s worth. There are so many features Strava could implement that people would use immediately: one that comes to mind is expand Teams/Groups to allow for people to plan group rides and races. To me that is such an obvious feature. Especially group rides.

7 Likes

Unless you want a reliable platform to create routes, free Strava should suffice for your captured activities.

What’s the worst that can happen, you re-subscribe :person_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I pay £47.99/year and for an app that saves all my rides in the cloud for instant access I think it’s outstanding value when you look at how much everything else in cycling costs. It’s like 1/4 of the price of a cup of coffee a week!!!. I’ve never understood why they don’t make the ability to link the info from Strava to other applications, like intervals.icu and veloviewer, part of the premium features

1 Like