Still hate the calendar

+1 for this. The whole point of a structured training plan is… well… the structure. You lose progress as soon as you start increasing the time over which you complete these plans, or as you make other unforeseen tweaks to them. So, in and of itself, the ability to continually bump your entire plan forward would negatively affect performance and it’s understandable why the TR crew may not want to make this a standard feature.

Life gets in the way of workouts for every user TR user, so in that regard I don’t think the OP’s needs are any different than the rest of us. It just sounds like there’s no “A event” to focus on and so they’d rather focus on 100% completion rather than optimizing for peak fitness at a given time.

If this is the case, then printing out the calendar and manually putting X’s on completed events is probably the best way to go. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sorry for your frustration, but rest assured that others feel you.

As of now there’s no perfect training calendar solution with key features being split between platforms. However, as a paid user of TrainerRoad, TrainingPeaks, Strava, Garmin Connect, I believe that TrainerRoad is VASTLY more responsive to users’ feedback. They’re bringing a freshness to the market that will eventually either dominate or spur the competition to action in a way that will benefit everyone. I’m not yet ready to abandon TrainingPeaks, but the rate at which TrainerRoad has closed the gap is remarkable. I think that with continuing feedback and the solid wisdom of the dev team at hand this will rapidly become our go-to training platform. I encourage you to email them any feature suggestions you have to enhance the calendar to be sure your suggestions aren’t lost in the static.

3 Likes

I let my TP premium subscription a couple weeks ago, and to be honest it was the best decision as that gave me a chance to try WKO+ and Golden Cheetah (GC). With GC I was initially frustrated, about the same as with WKO+, but now I’m thinking “wow!” because GC is already providing more flexible analysis than TrainingPeaks. Workouts and rides are still getting pushed to TP, at this point it is only for backing up data.

Going forward I’m focusing my attention on TrainerRoad and GC.

2 Likes

Is there a good workable interface between GC and TR? I was a long time TP user until I recently canceled and went solely on TR thanks in large part to the calendar (and also because I don’t have “A” multisport events this coming year anyway). I like the TP interface, it has enough data analysis for me right now coupled with other free platforms. TR has less, but probably still enough for right now. When I get data-hungry, I might like another free engine if GC fits that…

A year ago I joined TR and setup Dropbox sync. Then all you need to do is point GC to the Dropbox folder. When you fire up GC, it will auto-import any completed TR workouts.

Here ya go:

The first directory contained about 1200 workouts and rides (exported from TP).

The second directory has all my TR workouts.

3 Likes

Well, thanks. You just occupied my entire weekend with exploring GC. :slight_smile:

I’ve only invested a couple hours recently… once over the initial learning curve I started quickly discovering things.

If you have questions just post a new thread and someone will help.

I just revamped my inter-service syncing settings, hoping to continue GC as hub for original-data as much as possible with TrainingPeaks being the center of my analytics. I do continue to be very frustrated with TrainingPeaks having such obtuse analytics and stubborn with integrating to Apple Health and GC for various over-time metrics, as well as being depending on the skill-level of our table/chart/dashboard setup as self-coached athletes while TrainerRoad is emerging as more forward with the “how did my workout go” on individual rides.

Garmin has really made strides but I struggle with accepting the proprietary Firstbeat analytics without more understanding of its mechanics. TrainingPeaks is what it is and I’ve invested significantly in training plans but truly I see TrainerRoad taking over if they can conquer our entire training calendar including outdoor plans (read: on our Garmins) and do look forward with where things are headed. Garmin and TrainingPeaks have gotten sleepy and TrainerRoad is now HERE with the calendar and fresh apps. I’m exited to see what our 2020 season planning will have available.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m a relatively new discoverer of TR, and it’s mildly frustrating to find it approaching a season where I probably won’t race much at all. Viewing it, instead, as an opportunity to breakthrough on my cycling in advance of 2020 and figuring out how to integrate the TR engine and training with the rest of my training be it outdoor cycling, running, or swimming. Good things to come, and the calendar was the push over the edge for me to dive right in now.

Correct. I don’t race, what’s more its rare for me to ride my bike outdoors these days. I do just use TR for fitness. Yes, my focus is on 100% completion of a plan. My main interruptions to plan are other sporting activities.

1 Like

If I were doing this for just fitness, I would ditch plans altogether and pick and choose an interesting ride pending on my available time and general mood of the body. There are 1000+ workouts in the library for fitness.

4 Likes

That’s far more painful that it sounds. There are simply too many to choose from and it’s hard to pinpoint their intent. I love that having a plan on the calendar allows me to sit down on the bike and start riding with no thought to what workout I’m going to do. The plans really do work well for general fitness too…

3 Likes

I am pretty sure I’ve seen that option of training days when you choose a plan. I might be mistaken.

I think those of us who use the calendar on a laptop/desktop are a little confused about all of the dissatisfaction. I do all my planning on a laptop/desktop and then run the workouts from whatever I feel like that day (iPad, laptop, rarely a phone … can’t read the texts from a couple of meters away).

It would be nice to push a selection of workouts back a week, when you have set out weeks of planning and find out you have to be gone a whole week. Nice, but not a deal breaker for me.

I like the calendar. But I’m a latecomer. I don’t know anything else.

1 Like

That’s really interesting… I can’t imagine a world where I would use TR just for the fun of it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. If I didn’t have specific race goals, I would 100% just be riding outside for fitness and the fun of being on 2 wheels and breathing in the fresh air.

To each their own, obviously! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I hear what you are saying. TR is NOT fun.

A friend asked me yesterday when I explained to him how TR works and the five sessions a week (mid vol in my case) “Aren’t you ever tempted to just hop over one now and then?”

Calendar makes that a less tempting tactic. The workout is just sitting there, waiting for me.

I’m not a racers. I do brevets and long distance rides (long distance = 1200 km and upwards). They’re timed, but there is no winner.

Sure, I’d be outside enjoying the butterflies but I live in Sweden and outside is no treat at the moment. Over and above that I injured my collarbone a month ago and don’t feel like slipping and sliding and falling on it again just yet.

Calendar is exactly what I need. I might possibly wish for the possibility to export data in a standard format (ICS) so that I could import it into other calendars that I see in my daily life without logging on to TR. TR isn’t work friendly :slight_smile:

Kudos to the calendar.

I don’t really get the issue. On my android app at least, if I miss a workout in the calendar, it has an “x” in the corner, but I can still select it and load from the calendar? There’s nothing in the calendar stopping you just taking them in order from what I can see. I just loaded a workout from 2 weeks ago that I skipped at the time in favour of a run.

1 Like

The calendar doesn’t work for me either. Life just gets in the way and I found the previous functionality suited my needs better - 5 stars to be honest.

What I think would solve my problem, would be to have an extra tab on the workouts section that shows the current plan. All it needs to do is list the workouts and which ones have been completed. I am referring to the PC version.

2 Likes

In my opinion that is the wrong way to approach things, mainly because you will have chosen certain days for harder workouts because that was originally going to be best for you. If you have to miss a workout, learn why you missed it and just move onto the next one. If you keep bumping things forward the plan will not work in the way it is designed. (IMO)

1 Like

It really isn’t hard, that’s why there are filters to choose the type of workout you want. This could be based on time, intensity or type for example. Life got in my way on Sunday, I didn’t have 90 minutes to train so I looked at other workouts, filtered to what I needed and off I went.

1 Like

Agreed. It would be great if someone from TR would provide an indication on if\when they plan release an update that will restore the previous functionality.

1 Like