SILCA's New Aero Racing Sock

For those who bought these, how are they holding up - pun intended - as socks? Forget the cost, would you buy these as socks? Any comparisons to other socks (not aero, just cycling socks).

They are good socks. Used them in a race yesterday and they stayed up.

1 Like

Worn them a few times on the bikeā€¦aero claims aside, they are great socks. Soft feel, very comfortable, right height (not too high, not too low).

Would I pay $30 for multiple pairs? Nopeā€¦no chance. But as a one-off, they have been very good.

@stevemz and @Power13 - thanks. Iā€™ve been thinking of getting one pair for ā€œracesā€ (sportives, etc.) (more of a placebo probably than anything), but no reason for me if they donā€™t meet the ā€œgood sockā€ barrier

2 Likes

I use the rationale ā€œIā€™ve dropped $30 on dumber stuffā€ā€¦:rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Iā€™d get a set if they had maybe some plain black or white.

I have worn them on several races. They are really comfortable and do not fall down. I wash them using a quick 15 minute gentle cycle in my washing machine and line dry them and so far I havenā€™t seen any issues with their durability.

I normally wear Swiftwick socks, which I really like, but the Silca are really much better socks. I might buy another pair or 2 next season.

2 Likes

FWIW, I was listening to Joshā€™s podcast last night, and he mentioned that one of the pro teams he works with tried adhesive spray with regular aero socks, and the riders hated it.

Thanks. Especially the swiftwick comparison, as I have some of those and like them. So if the Silca are nicer socks, that is a big :+1:t2:

1 Like

Has anyone done any home aero testing with it yet?

I was recommended and have tried Tuffner Pre-tape. Used by dancers and physios on sweaty people. :slight_smile: It was better than no spray. Turns out it was easy to remove. However the oversocks that fell down after 10 mins stayed up for around 25. I think the issue was that the versions I had were too large for me, and I am looking for a smaller, tighter pair.

Worth a try.

1 Like

Can anyone really effectively home test 3 or 5 watts?

For those that have falling down socks, you should think about kineseo tape. Do like the Danes but tape up your aero socks and then keep the tape going up your shin for another couple watts. Youā€™ll look really cool on the group ride or in your next race. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

• I highly doubt it. People might be able to get ā€œresultsā€, but I would question them for at least a couple of reasons.

I have a pair. They felt fast. Thatā€™s likely just perception of the placebo effect but as someone said, I have made worse investments in cycling kit and gear.

On the other hand - I think there are a handful of individuals that can. If someone claims to be able to Iā€™d expect a long boring answer when asking about their protocolsā€¦

Is it possible to get them in Europe?