SILCA's New Aero Racing Sock

It’s sort of poetic though.

The bit that is missing though is if they tested other normal socks to see if they were fast too.

I guess you have to standardise for %age of leg covered by material - and I guess a good place is at the UCI rule. Having some of the fancy lycra socks you do have a lot of stretch in them so I don’t think it would have made a big impact. This was done at the Silverstone wind tunnel and I’m pretty sure they would have designed a good experiment.

I don’t know if the Silca sock is faster, but it is very comfortable. Just did a lunch time sprint workout…still go the socks on as I’m toolin’ around the office.

1 Like

Are you faster when walking to the coffee maker? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Emptied sock drawer and here is what I have for testing from left to right:

• May is Bike Month blue/grey sock
  • May is Bike Month blue/green sock
  • Classic Rock ‘Turn that Shit Up!’ sock that niece gave me for Xmas
  • Beer sock that my sister-in-law gave me for Xmas
  • Pearl Izumi pink sock to go with my Cycling Donut Warriors jersey
  • random grey biz casual sock with ribbing
  • random blue biz casual sock with ribbing
  • black Gold Toe biz casual sock with ribbing

Now I just need a repeatable field test…

5 Likes

Agreed on all points!!

I wait in eager anticipation.

2 Likes

Same, and then I’ll set odds and accept wagers on the Classic Rock ‘Turn That Shit Up!’ socks taking the win :metal:

2 Likes

I ordered two pairs and they showed up today. They look and feel like regular socks.

The Velotec aero socks I have always fall down, but these seem like they will actually stay up.

I don’t really see any reason for why they would be aero, but :man_shrugging:

Nice socks though.

How dare you! The sock has been that dude’s life work.

You can’t see aero.

(laughing emoji)

Obviously :laughing:

But when comparing it to the other aero kit that I have, there are obvious features in the other stuff. As much as I don’t like the velotec socks, they have the same waffling as the skinsuit.

Now that I’m looking at it though, there is a slight bulge from the pink chevrons around the side of the calf. Very tough to see from the photo but perhaps that is the secret sauce

1 Like

I get it…Just using your post to post the counter. You can’t see drag either. You can feel it but, not 5W+/-. It wouldn’t surprise me if these socks increase drag for many riders. The marketing on this stuff annoys me for some reason.

1 Like

Josh has nice products but he could sell ice to eskimos. No offense to any Eskimo’s who may be reading.

1 Like

Did you watch the video? That is what he claims at around 4:45.

I had not watched the video. Very interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

Screw chevrons man!!!

Dots are where it’s at yo!!!

(Sorry y’all, couldn’t resist continuing the aero sock thread)

1 Like

Sorry to revive this with a semi-relevant question, but does anyone have a recommendation for an adhesive spray? Coming up short in my searches. At a pinch I assume a few strips of double sided tape would work?

A few mentions in this related thread:

1 Like