Sent home for 10 weeks, how to add volume and not burn out

My thinking is that interval work is more important than the extra endurance, so do the interval work first and then make the ride longer with endurance.

Thanks for sharing what you’ve done, it makes sense.

1 Like

The more hours you are planning on doing compared to your current schedule the less intensity you need. Currently I’m only having 1-2 days worth of intervals a week and I’m riding 15-20 hours a week. You will notice that you get a fitness increase by adding endurance. If you were to take my advice on your week outline this is what I would suggest.

1 Like

I don’t agree with this. For some of us 3 hours at 60% would tax the legs. It might not be in the form of massive lactate build up, but it can be taxing.

I still believe you have way too much intensity in what you’re proposing, let alone not a single rest day. Riding at 60% for 1 hour isn’t imo considered rest or even active recovery. Something like Dans or 30 min @ 45% of FTP would constitute active recovery.

The best thing about all of this is the ability to experiment. Give your plan a shot and see how you respond. You’ll know when/if it’s too much load.

3 Likes

The caps really makes it seem like you’re very angry and shouting it… but I think you’re right about some of it.
I might make Monday a 50-55 % ride like I’ve also mentioned before. But I do ride my recovery rides more on RPE and HR than power.
The interval sessions are just the ones from the SSBMV2 for the first six weeks, and then the intervals from General build after that. So they progress as the plan moves.
Do you really think I need an other full recovery day on Friday? I guess I’ll try the longer and if it’s too much that’s the first I’ll swap with something easier.
The reason I don’t have a long Saturday and Sunday is that I’d like one ride of 4 hours or more and I’d like a few intervals on Saturday, those are often very fun.

All in all, thanks for the advice.

I think one hour at 60 % is very close to recovery, but I might change it to a 50-55 % ride - but I do ride my recovery rides more by RPE and HR than power.
I think the consensus is that 2.5 hours on Friday might be too much with a hard ride Thursday and the weekend. So I might try it for a week or two, else that’ll be the first to get shortened/reduced in intensity.

I also think that the reduced stress from an alarm clock, work and everything else that has to do with work will let me recover a lot better generally.

All in all, thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I’ve also considered dropping the Thursday interval and just do an other longish zone 2 ride. I’m quite sure it’s the intervals and not the volume that’ll kick my ass.

Haha I wasn’t trying to make it that way, I was trying to make it more visible since I had quoted your plan. I had looked at it lower case and it just kinda blended in. But if it makes you feel better I’m not mad at all :+1:t3:

1 Like

Oh I know :smiley: Still looks mad though.

I’m in a similar situation and I’ve taken Coach Chad’s advice and replaced my daily commute with equivalent time on AE workouts like Taku, Carter, East Vidette, etc. on top of SSBLV. I do my morning ride fasted with no fan to capture additional benefits. I’m also not working much now so I’m taking it pretty easy, eating really well and sleeping lots. I’m not racing or doing any heavy lifting in the gym anymore, just stretching and bodyweight core exercises every other day. So for me the extra TSS hasn’t had a negative impact. Time will tell if my fitness improves or not.

1 Like

This probably won’t take place, so what’s the goal now?

Why wouldn’t it? That’s way too early to tell. There’s already talk about slowly easing up after Easter.

1 Like