I’ve been sent home from work for the next 10 weeks (with pay so no stress) due to covid-19, so now I have a lot of time to train. I’ve always wanted to train more than the 7-8 hours I can fit normally with work, kids, etc. And now I’ve got the time.
I don’t want to do a full traditional base type thing where I just lull around doing only endurance rides.
Normally I can do about 500 TSS with structure without much problem - sometimes I do look forward to the recovery weeks, but almost always add a bit to them anyway.
The second thing to consider is that every event on this side of summer is canceled so I’m dropped my specialty phase and this week is a free week, next week is planned to starts with SweetSpot Base Mid Volume 2 (SSBMV2), then General Build Mid Volume (GBMV) and then onto specialty in order to peak for the after summer A-event.
My initial plan is to do the six weeks of SSBMV2 and the first four weeks of GBMV.
The way I’d do it is to add a lot of endurance both on the off days and on top of the intervals. My plan is to ramp it up to about 15 hours/week which would be just north of 700 TSS/week. An example week would be like this:
- Monday: 1 hour of low endurance at 60 %
- Tueday: Planned VO2 workout (i.e. 3 sets of 14 x 30/30 @ 120 % [Taylor]) and add an other hour at 60 %
- Wednesday: 1 hour high endurance at 75 % or varied riding like hills etc that equals the same amount of TSS
- Thursday: Planned threshold workout (i.e. 3 x 12 min @ 97 % [Donner]) and add an other hour at 60 %
- Friday: 2.5 hours of low endurance at 60 %
- Saturday: Planned threshold/special workout (i.e. 6 x 8 min @ 91 % with opening sprints [Clark]) and add an other hour at 60 %
- Sunday: 4 hours of endurance at 65 %
That totals to 719 TSS and 15 hours.
If I do some gravel or an ad hoc ride with hills, sprints and what not on for instance Friday but it ends up being a 200 TSS ride, I’d just do a very easy ride on Saturday etc.
Is that the way to do it, or should I remove some of the intervals?
Is it important to do the sets/intervals with the planned rest or can I just spread them out throughout the ride (that way I can almost make sure to do them on optimal roads if outside)?