Saunas are apparently good, but dry versus steam?

Dry versus steam. Is there a difference in effect? I have access to both with steam much more readily available. The episodes do not seem to differentiate effect, although the temps in dry seem much higher than a steam sauna.

I’m not sure about the episode that talks about it, but I don’t imagine there would be much of a difference since both are elevating body heat in order to reap the benefits. I would say whichever you have access to.

Though in any case make sure you are staying hydrated in both conditions because the water loss can do the opposite of the benefits you’re trying to reap if you start to get dehydrated

Been using a dry sauna for years, my firestation has one and we try to go every shift.

20 minutes at 85-90°c (185-194f) with no water on the stones is our routine which is hard but manageble

The local pool has a steam room which has a lot lower temperarure but the perceived heat can be greater because of the moisture, not sure if it has the same benefits since studies tend to say that more heat reaps more benefits

1 Like

They have talked about this quite a few times on the podcasts and Chad and the one in the TR office are dry saunas. There is no difference in terms of benefit.

Here is the episode link

That is the episode that sparked the question (and episodes prior) since I have never heard them directly address the wet vs dry sauna that I can remember. I know they feel very different. My steam sauna at home at 110 is almost unbearable but 160 dry is fine.

Love reading Dr. Rhonda Patrick’s studies.

Bumping this one - has there been any further discussion on wet vs. dry? I do believe long ago podcasts said dry was perhaps more effective, but then I also remember examples of them setting up their bikes in the bathroom and running a hot shower.

The reason I ask is I have a steam shower/room and live in a very humid climate - it is rarely hot AND dry here on the east coast. Seems a wet heat is closer to what I ride in. I am though interested in the difference in perceived vs. absolute heat. Beyond 90 degrees in the shower is almost unbearable, but when I have gone to a local infrared place 140 seems nice.