Yesterday I got out for a 3-hour ride in ~80 degree (fahrenheit) weather in Seattle. I noticed pretty early on that my kit was showing huge salt stains, to a level way beyond what I normally see.
My food/drink intake for the ride:
- Homemade carb mix in two bottles (64g of carbs via maltodextrin/fructose, no sodium)
- One nuun sport tablet per bottle (600mg sodium)
- Two SIS gels (one electrolyte, one not, 44g total carbs, 130mg sodium)
- Partway through was craving plain water, and stopped at a park and chugged an entire bottle from a drinking fountain (I almost never have to do this)
- SIS ReGo recovery drink post-ride (23g carbs, 13g protein)
My questions are:
- What are the implications of losing this much salt?
- Is it something I should be addressing in my nutrition (i.e. adding additional sodium to my drinks or doubling up my nuun tablets, perhaps?)
- Do I need to worry about this at all or is it just a normal and natural indication that I’m a saltier than normal sweater?
Also, not sure if this is relevant, but the ride was harder than normal because I had done my first ever kettlebell workout the day before, and my legs were sore! Ended up going way slower than usual on the last half, and struggled to generate any power over ~50% FTP.