Saddle sore right side

My old coach said similar. He offes a preliminary fit with potentially indefinite tweaks on his group rides :+1:

1 Like

Personally, I found a bike fit with real-time pressure mapping changed my on-the-bike life. I had recurring issues in one area for 10+ years, and it immediately stood out with the pressure mapping. We switched from a carbon to unpadded saddle (same shape), rotated it back slightly and ended up moving my seat up and back. With the pressure map we could see the pressure changes with each adjustment and go in directions that reduced pressure.

3 Likes

No one size fits all, but here is my experience. When I started riding 6+ hours/week on the trainer, my Prologo saddle that came stock became a pain in the arse, literally. Went and got measured for a 155mm Specialized Power Comp, and bought it. Ended up still being uncomfortable and finally started getting recurring (weekly!) saddle sores on the right side.

After talking to another shop, sized down to 143 and switched to Power Arc. Sores quite literally disappeared overnight.

Switched to a smaller bike for a handful of rides, different saddle (forgot brand, but a lot more cushion), and got a sore after both initial rides (60km and 100km). Swapped the saddle to my 143mm Power Arc, pulled off a 202km ride with no sores and only mild discomfort, whcih I attribute to a 6 hour ride. Swapped back to the original saddle (forgot my Power Arc at the lake on the second bike …), and came back from a century with a fresh sore.

Needless to say, I’m getting rid of all the extra saddles and buying an extra Power Arc.

I’ve lowered my saddle and things do seem better at the moment. I’ve booked a bike fit for next week so hopefully this gets me in the right position and I’ll report back.

2 Likes

I had the same issues, and for me it was that I had a shorter leg, and therefore sat on the saddle odd and dipping the right hand side of the hip - giving sores on the right side. Put in some shims and that solved the issue. And also my knee issue which was way wore than sores.

1 Like

The only thing I’ve not tried is shims. I’m waiting on a bike fit for next week and I’ll see what he advises, fingers crossed.

1 Like

Had the bike fit and went out for a 45 mile ride and to my shock the saddle rub is still happening. He didn’t check my leg length but adjusted a lot of my position so a lot more comfortable now. Do you think it’s worth try cleat shims in the right side to stop this?

I’d speak to the fitter again, as an element of your fit still isn’t right. How much did the fit cost and how long did it last (just out of interest)?

1 Like

It was £100 and took about 3 hours. To get me where I wanted to be.

1 Like

Thanks - considering a fit myself, but I’m generally ok outdoors, it’s just indoor. I don’t know if that would help - but I can always use the take aways to adjust the indoor bike.

Well he’s lowered my saddle, put me on a 143mm Prologo dimension with less curve to it than the power. Also fitted me an 120mm stem feels great outdoors and indoors for that matter. Made a massive difference.

I had my first saddle sore in decades when I set up a rocker board for my trainer and it slightly altered my front wheel height. I found a combination of Voltaren gel and hydrocortisone cream (both over the counter) worked great to clear it up