Can't get comfortable in the saddle at all? Chamois wrong size?

Hi Guys, I hope all is well with everybody.

I am looking for some advice in regards to getting comfortable in the saddle before I go and spend $200+ for a bike fit. I know that might be the best advice, but I would like to try and avoid that if I can right now.

I’ve tried 3 different saddles over the last few months and I can’t for the life of me get comfortable, whether it be on the road or on my indoor trainer. I’ve tried to angle the seat up, down, flat, forward, backward and to no real avail. I feel like I end up shuffling a lot on the saddle and trying to sit up, then get down low, shuffle around etc.

My last resort right now is thinking that maybe my bib chamois isn’t the greatest? The pain feels more like it it coming from directly under my crotch, almost like inside of my seat bones, which when I poke around, it feels like the chamois on my shorts gets narrow in that area and perhaps I need some better ones with a better placement?

I assume I am not the only person who has had this issue. So, without going for a bike fit (which I will do if I have to), what else has worked for you guys in the past and any other advice you could give me in advance?

Thank you so much.

Lower the saddle a bit and try again.

2 Likes

I will try that - But why would lowering the saddle help here?

How long have you been riding?

A couple of years intermitently, and pretty much 100-150 km per week for the last 8 weeks.

I had/have the same issue. I went through 5 different bike seats, at least half a dozen chamois’. I could never get comfortable on the bike. I finally broke down and got a bike fit through a Retul guy. He changed my stem length (shorter and 25 degree angled up.) He changed my seat… even though I said I’d been through 5 of them already. Put plastic wedges in my shoes. Changed the cleat position under my feet.

After all that, I was in even more pain than previously. It felt like a wasted $300 to me at the time. In hindsight, I think that the issue is that my bike was the wrong size and he was trying to fix that by making these drastic changes. I still have the same bike and a lot of the same issues but I feel like when I am ready to get a new bike, getting the proper size will be a big step in being comfortable finally.

As far as Landis’ comment, people tend to tolerate saddles that are slightly too low as opposed to slightly too high.

Good luck :slight_smile:

With out seeing you it’s just a hunch as a slightly high saddle will cause much more pressure in/around/under your crotch/sit bone/inside of thigh area than a lower on. Take it to the extreme where the saddle is so high you could barely reach the pedals…obviously too low is not good but, I’d rather ride slightly low than high. Many cyclist who try to find more power with position raise the saddle to get more extension. Usually when they feather it slightly high they complain of saddle sores (among other problems). Lowering the saddle usually really helps. All other things equal.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. I will drop the saddle tomorrow and see how that feels…Anything else I should be looking out for? Do you think the chamois pad width could also be something to look into?

This topic (saddle comfort) is really subjective and internet advise dangerous as so many variables exist. With that said:

IME pads can absolutely make a difference but, usually if the bib/shorts are way too small or large. If the bib/shorts fit well the pad is probably in the right spot and not moving so, bike fit and/or saddle shape, width, outline and profile are next to examine.

My closet is filled with bibs from various manufacturers over the last few years. All high end but, slightly different. Ale, Eliel, Cuore, Etxeondo and Pedal Mafia. All in varied states of use from new to technically worn out. All feel fine. I’ve been at this for a long time and know the shape of saddle I need: mid 140 width; shorter but wider nose, however, the outline can’t be too aggressive and flare too quickly; and lots of profile.

The only thing that makes all that painful is too high a saddle. Just one man’s journey. Hope something sticks for you.

1 Like

Thanks Landis - Much appreciated for your time

1 Like

I had this happen one year, had to swap saddles mid season. Maybe try someone else’s saddle, we all prob have a couple laying around

The holy grail of cycling. Like you, I suffer hugely with sores, despite having had a bike fit which changed the saddle itself, it’s height, the position of my cleats, footsoles too and my handlebars (overall about £500 including the items). And yes, I still get sores - and I also use chamois cream and I use (supposed) top end brand shorts like Assos, Le Col and Castelli. I think one issue is that in the bike fit, they only have you cycling for a few minutes at a time between adjustments etc. You really need to be cycling for an hour at least to tell if it is working for you.

Another problem is knowing whether a pair of shorts (i) fits correctly and (ii) has the best chamois for my anatomy.

(i) fits correctly - they say not too tight and not too baggy, which is so subjective it’s impossible to know whether you’ve got it right. Also, it doesn’t help that the modern cycling clothing is aimed at people who have zero body fat, could be blown away in a stiff wind and are 5’2" tall - I’m 6’4" and the height alone means I have to order XXL! (and sometimes XXXL!!!) - whereas in normal clothing I would just be L. So you go bigger for the height/length, but then obviously the more baggy the garment becomes.

(ii) the right chamois for my anatomy - there are so many different types of chamois out there (thin, thick, wide, narrow) all purporting to provide different features and benefits, but how do you know if it fits you right? The area at the top of the inner thigh, around the scrotum and back towards the anus and the bum cheeks - that is where I get my sores and it seems to me that no chamois ever fits snug in that area. There’s always bunching which must be what leads to the chafing and sores?

It’s a minefield of variations and trial and error that can quickly bankrupt you. I wish I knew the answer because it is ruining my enjoyment of cycling - plus I worry about the long term dangers of having all those lumps and bumps (if you know what I mean? - don’t want to mention “that” word).

3 Likes

I’ve never had (that I know of anyway) a problem with a Chamois myself but that’s not to say that it couldn’t be the problem for the OP we are all different when it come to sitting on the bike. FWIW for me I find that the most comfortable saddle is one without a cut out and a lot of folk are the opposite and prefer a cut out.

1 Like

Vicks Vappor Rub on the sores!
Its a “proven” solution… :smiley:

Not all saddles are made for all people.
I had a ISM PN 3.1, 40-Serise. This is a 200+ saddle that is well regarded as a great triathlon saddle.
My Tri bike came with it, so I kept it for my fitting

I hate that thing. Supper uncomfortable.
My fitter had me try a specialized power comp saddle (120ish 2 years ago) when I had the old tri bike…
So i put that saddle on the new bike!
MUCH MUCH better…

so sadly… saddles are a trial and error thing…

Are you serious about the Vicks Vappor Rub - I’ll try anything so don’t wind me up :smiley:? Do you apply it before the ride in lieu of chamois cream or do you apply it after to sooth the sores?

And yes I am sure it is trial and error, but as I say, that’s a very expensive procedure.

I am dead serious!

there is a long thread here about it…

Do the ride, take a shower, apply over and just over, the sore.
During ride I use Noxema with great success. But other use chamois cream also with great success.

Wow you weren’t kidding - what a long thread!! I will buy some vicks on the way home tonight - I’m a bit of a masochist so the burn might be enjoyable. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

However, i was also intrigued by the guy who posted about the pressure points. The extent of my bike fit was to sit stationary on a pad that apparently showed where my sit bones were, but that was it. I think the assessment this other guy had is what i need. To see how the pressure points change as the ride progresses.

But until I can get one of those, I’ll reach for the vicks. :crossed_fingers: Thanks.

1 Like

The vicks should at least “burn” the ones you have now. Hopefully that couple with chamois cream will do the trick.

Best of luck!

Might be worth thinking about getting custom tailored bib shorts. If you’re already buying top brands, it can’t be much more expensive. You might well be right that they just don’t make them for someone your height.

Do you have any pre-ride hygiene standards? I personally won’t put on my shorts/bibs without a quick shower first if I’ve either sweated a decent amount or had any poop activity take place. Not sure about the actual science, but wiping poop away with paper, then mixing sweat and micro-abrasions just can’t be great for sores. Seems to have worked for me.