Rut busting routines!

Just had some issues with motivation to go train and slipped into a week long rut of lazyness, overall boredom, poor eating and social anxiety, even activating my World of warcraft account first time in 8 years. My sleep also suffered, it was a downward spiral.

Did not come from a hard training block or anything it just kinda followed a bad hangover, third time this year i have “indulged” a bit to much and there is always a bad week afterwards derailing my schedule, damn it! Gotta rethink that whole thing.

Realizing my situation i figured a new approach instead of just “waiting it out”
Day 1 (5 days into rut). Listened to a podcast and gave my bike a good service and set up my pain cave.
Day 2. Slept until 9, had a nice breakfast played some WOW, and set an alarm for noon and did Taku 30 minutes easy spin, my mind just made big deal of everything and my HR was much faster then usual for such a mellow ride.
Actually felt better afterwards and felt some glimmer of motivation come back to me.
Day 3. Woke up early did things around the house that had been procrastinated while listening to TR Kona interviews with athletes, another round of Taku, felt even better but decided not to hop on the feeling and gave myself time to relax which felt good after finishing some stuff.
Day 4. Woke up early to watch Kipchoge run! feeling good, proper breakfast and did Glassy 80 min 4x15 75-90% and was almost emotional the final interval because i felt reinvigorated.
Day 5. Back to my normal self.

TR podcast did help alot to find my mojo aswell as a few Joe Rogans.

I decided to write this here and ask if somone has found himself in similar situations and check to see other “Rut busting routines”

5 Likes

A hangover that derails your life, and Joe Rogan makes it better?

Alexa, what is a “red flag”?

1 Like

Sounds to me like you need to schedule your hangovers during weeks when there is a glut of endurance events to remotivate you! Suggest aligning your social calendar with the cycling grand tours…

When I’m struggling I normally go unstructured, outside, with other people. The commitment of joining a group ride or meeting a friend at a fixed time is great for avoiding procrastination. And just riding along, talking to friends, coasting on descents, looking forward to the coffee stop, etc is a nice change from watching the clock tick down on a screen.