Running interval recovery pace/RPE

How fast should “recovering for __ seconds” after each running interval be in the triathlon running workouts? Today I had 8 90-second efforts at RPE-9 with 90 seconds of “recovering” after each one. Should I stop completely for 90 seconds, walk, jog at RPE 4, or something else? Walking or stopping results in a faster RPE 9 pace than jogging, but I’m not sure what is the most productive for the workout.

I have done both. Some sessions are stopping during the intervals and other sessions have “floats” in them. They are two completely different style of workouts. I have more ability to run fast interval paces on the full rest workouts, teaching my body to run at a faster pace, and accumulate more fatigue on the continuous movement sets, teaching me to run hard on tired legs.

What recovery effort would you put out on the bike during a vo2 max session where you’re doing 90 seconds on, 90 seconds off?

If you have a HRM, I would run easy enough for my HR to come down significantly…
if it is 10 mpm, so be it…
I usually walk like 20s after longer intervals (like 400/90s).

I think on the bike is slightly different…
Usually you dont have the option to stop while on the bike… but I guess you can stop pedaling…

In any case… usually a longer vo2max 90s you recover at a VERY low intensity…

I’d make the recovery slightly less then the interval and walk, jog or stand so tgat heart rate comes down some and lactate clears. The purpose of shorter vo2max intervals is time spent at higher intensity for both pace and heart rate for longer durations so each interval should be of the same intensity as the last. The recovery should not negatively effect the workbout, at least thats what I always been led to understand.