Removing road tire marks on hardwood

I’ve recently noticed a bunch of tire marks on my hardwood floor where my bike normally lives when not being used. Any suggestions for removing these? I’ve tried common household cleaners with zero success.

1 Like

I’d try a Magic Eraser.

3 Likes

I would suggest to not try a magic eraser. They are like very fine sandpaper.

Maybe try a clay bar. It’s used to carefully clean contaminants from vehicle paint.

Edit: I’ve been thinking about this… Maybe even try an actual eraser? Like cleans like.

I’d be wary of using too many chemicals.

3 Likes

If it real hardwood you might ask the installer what to use. Not all finishes are equal. If it’s engineered hardwood it came prefinished with a very hard finish on the wood
First try alcohol and a soft cloth.
Next I would try a water based solvent such as orange degreaser like you would use to clean your chain before waxing.
Last I would try a wax and grease remover that is sold for automotive finishes.
Try in a spot like a closet or something where if there is a problem it won’t be seen.

1 Like

I think I’ll give this a try and then move onto the suggestions from @TrekCentury. Appreciate the replies!

When I say “I noticed”, I really meant “My wife noticed, exploded, and wondered how I could be so smart and so %$@*& oblivious.” I had no counter to that one. Guilty as charged.

1 Like

If you didn’t immediately stick out your hand and say “Hi, I’m mimod….nice to meet you”, you did it wrong. :crazy_face:

1 Like

These are probably going to be easier to remove than the burn mark I made with my first wheel on trainer about 10 years ago where I had too little tolerance between the floor and the wheel. burned all the way through the veneer. good luck! Either way you might suggest a mat of some sort. They will keep coming back if you keep parking your bike there and the mat might cover this up if you can’t get it out.

1 Like