Recommended Books / Reading Thread

Roar should be on this list! Completely changed how I think about exercise and recovery, and honestly, bodies, in general.

2 Likes

Great thread! Lots of great recommendations. Here’s another one that I have found invaluable. While its intended audience is those that are learning to race, there are many bike handling skills and drills discussed that are useful for group riding. It’s entertaining and easy to read, authored by Jamie Smith with numerous inserts by Chris Horner.

Note: Thanks to @dhellman, fellow TR user and Forum participant, for introducing the book to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Race-Racing-Inside-Peloton/dp/1937715108

3 Likes

I really wish more of these were available as audio books through Hoopla (public library). So many I would like to read, and I LOVE to read, but sleep gets priority in the time I callus sit to read.

1 Like

Four Pillars of Investing Four Pillars of Investing

Respiratory Physiology: the essentials John West

The Cave and The Light

Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides

1 Like

I actually did. I am not sure if I would mark it as motivational, but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by it. I took the “Why so serious?” mentality away from it and it made me realize that sometimes we take ourselves way to seriously when it comes to training and we tend to forget that riding a bike is actually fun. Especially the end of the book felt quite touching.

I’m currently reading/rereading:

The Science of Winning
by Jan Olbrecht

Great book on the principles of training, types of workouts, metabolic adaptations, and planning/periodization. Well written and excellent content from a PhD and trainer advisor to world class athletes. Dr Olbrecht was mentored by Dr Mader, the professor that developed an energy metabolism model in 1980s that has now been popularized by this book and the work of Sebastian Weber and his INSCYD software.

Examples are all swimming, which can make for a difficult read. One example starts with a 5x400m session and states if you are training vo2max a coach may split the first 400m into 4x100m with 25m negative splits and followed by 4x100m at slow pace. Or switch the focus from vo2max to aerobic power by swimming the 4x100 at lactate threshold. The basic principles transcend swimming and apply to cycling, however it makes for tough reading at times.

The Time-Crunched Cycling 3rd Edition
by Chris Carmichael and Jim Rutberg

Surprised this wasn’t on the list already. If I understand correctly, these guys created the “have less than 10-14 hours a week to train” time-crunched plans. TR’s take on time-crunched is a bit different, and there is some interesting food for thought in this book. To my eye the CTS approach is 11 weeks, outdoor focused, and more maximal efforts. Followed by 4-6 weeks endurance block to recover from the stress of the 11 week + racing block. Rinse and repeat.

Fast After 50: How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life
by Joe Friel

Great book for those of a certain age, or as I like to say “getting old doesn’t have to suck”

Go hard :muscle:t3: or go home! :fist_right:t3: :fist_left:t3: :metal:t3:

1 Like

Looking for a book to learn about sports physiology - what would you recommend? I would like to better understand the physiological processes when we do certain trainings and ideally learn about practical implications to better plan my training, nutrition etc.

I saw “Anatomy & Physiology For Dummies” in the list above, but I’d prefer something that focuses more on the context of endurance sports.

2 Likes

I can highly recommend the Cycling Chef
If you like cooking and eating, and don’t want to get chubby (chubbier, in my case), have a look

3 Likes

For a light, easy read that is funny Living with a Seal is great. The navy seal is David Goggins and the author pays him to train him for 30 days.

3 Likes

demain on roule or tomorrow we ride is a fantastic cycling read by Bobet. Insights on vintage cycling at their best.

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Deep Nutrition – Reviews and Recommendations

Back to books, this one is also really interesting

One that I may also look at in the future for the info on insulin sensitivity is:

the inter-relationship between lipids and sugars in the cell in response to hormones is super interesting and has some direct relationships to endurance performance - getting the fuels in and out efficiently and effectively

Rouleur magazine along with other cycling media are regulars which are also worth checking out.

Concerning rouleur specifically COVID is proving to be hard for these outlets, so I’d heartily recommended we support these too.

2 Likes

My family and I are headed camping for a week later this month and I am I need of a few new books!

What is your favourite triathlon/cycling/endurance book?! If you’re passionate, I’d love to hear why.

Thanks in advance!

I enjoyed Chrissie Wellington’s book when I got into Triathlon a few years ago. Her back story is interesting - e.g. coming into the sport with little history of elite level competition as a kid …plus her outlook on things

1 Like

Great, thanks!

I’ve really enjoyed both of Matt Dixon’s Triathlon books
David Miller’s Racing Through the Dark/The Racer also really good
Scott Jurek Eat and Run (some good recipes in there too)
Endure by Alex Hutchinson
The World of Cycling according to G - Geraint Thomas, he’s got a very witty writing style

2 Likes

My additions:

Running:

“Anatomy for Runners: unlocking your athletic potential for health, speed, and injury prevention” - Jay Dicharry, MPT, SCS, Skyhorse Publishing

Core strength:

“Foundation: redefine your core, conquer back pain, and move with confidence” - Dr Eric Goodman and Peter Park

@mcneese.chad - can you please add ROAR: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Unique Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life
by Selene Yeager and Stacy T. Sims to the nutrition list? It is a well-researched and extremely important work for the ladies out there. Thank you!

1 Like

I already had it in the “General / Science” section, but will add it in the Nutrition section too.

1 Like