Recommend a cycling sunscreen - UK/Euro

Whatever you choose, my recommendation is to choose a mineral (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) based sunscreen and reduce/avoid the long-term use of chemical based ones (avobenzone, oxybenzone, octocrylene and ecamsule) due to the carcinogenic effect the latter have evidence of causing. Aerosol sunscreens are also to be avoided for long-term use.

1 Like

Do have the studies to show that by any chance? I make no claims of being an expert. Because of this, I discussed this a couple of MDs when I was making decisions and they all had the same opinion. The discussion was specifically regarding avobenzone, and they felt that the studies that had been done didn’t represent usage that is relevant to how sunscreen is used. I’d like to go back to them with a different study and see if it changes their opinion, or perhaps there has been something new since that discussion. Thank you

Here’s a good summary that’s easily understood on the merits of different sunscreen chemicals. My thought is that if there’s an alternative that is potentially less harmful but also just as effective, then why not go with that? I followed the Johnson & Johnson talcum powder trial for a bit and have no faith in large conglomerates to do the right thing.

Here’s another article that acknowledges that most sunscreen chemicals seep into the bloodstream through the skin, except for mineral based ones with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which are deemed safe because it stays on top of the skin. .

Avobenzone, oxybenzone, octocrylene, homosalate, octisalate and octinoxate are the chemicals I’d watch out for. I suppose a few uses won’t hurt anyone, but who knows?

2 Likes

Piz buin all day long. It isn’t greasy and it smells nice.