Anyone use Sun Sleeves?

Anyone have experience with these? considering a pair or two to reduce my usage of sunscreen.

2 Likes

yes, work well on long weekend rides in the sun.

5 Likes

Do they make you feel any hotter?

No, they are not like thermal arm warmers. For context I’m putting on shorts when the temps hit 62F / 17C. Pretty common on those long weekend rides to leave the house in those lower temps, and be riding in 95F / 35C temps by the time I come home.

1 Like

On really hot days you can spray them with water keep them even cooler. Just make sure you don’t waste your drink mix bottle on them.

6 Likes

Thanks for asking the question and for the replies so far. I was getting ready to order a pair in the next couple of days (Columbia Freezer Zero). Any suggestions on which brands work/hold up better?

O1CN01lxXhK21jt8U8uFzux_!!0-rate.jpg_400x400

Yes, I just bought it.

1 Like

I guess it just depends on where you live and what you consider hot. In the Texas summer, I found them brutally hot. They’re awesome when you first add the water, but even dripping wet they’re dry in 20 minutes and then just turn into skin tight sleeves. I guess if you carry plain water and refresh it every 20 minutes they would work. I now use them as light arm warmers in the early fall and late spring.

6 Likes

I have these that I use quite a bit:

I also have any older Sugoi pair that are thinner and work well but they’re a little small so I’m always tugging on them.

Edit: Sorry, I got my products mixed up. The Amazon link is for the thinner Sugoi pair. The pair I use often are the Voler Sol Skins. They’re a little thicker, but I don’t mind as much since I feel really protected with them. I’ve had chunks of my skin cut out due to basal cell carcinoma so don’t want to go through that again.

1 Like

I haven’t used the specific brand, but I bought a pair when I lived in NC. WHAT A REVELATION. As a super white dude, it was just incredible. N=1, but the extra heat they may have help in was a totally worthy tradeoff for being able to spend 6hrs in the southern sun with no risk of burn and without feeling the heat of the direct sun. For me, completely a great product. I wore then in IMChatt and really liked them.

Pretty sure the ones @TonyLPowell linked are the ones I have actually. Mine are pretty thin and probably delicate, but get the job done.

3 Likes

Yes. Probably would be okay if under 85, but I ride in Texas and I don’t really wear them during July/August

2 Likes

I occasionally use summer sleeves (either to keep mid-day sun off when I’m riding in Europe or as a light arm cover for UK evenings).

All of mine are Pactimo which currently have a sale running.
https://www.pactimo.com/collections/summer-cycling-sleeves

2 Likes

I have the Pearl Izumi sun sleeves. I wear them frequently at 90F in NM. I don’t feel like they make my arms hot.

Lately I’ve been wondering about a summer weight long sleeve jersey. I mean, I’ve never had one am wondering if I’d like it.

2 Likes

I use sun sleeves for both arms and legs especially for very long rides. Enough cover to avoid sunburn but also helps a little when it gets colder.

3 Likes

I use the white Bontrager sunscreen arm sleeves. I have their corresponding legs sleeves too. They do a great job and I don’t feel hotter with them. When they get damp from sweat or water there is a definite cooling effect.

1 Like

I don’t burn but I get so dark… my farmers tan is next level after the first week of summer.

Any suggestions for sun bibs for the legs?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike-clothing/cycling-arm-leg-warmers/bontrager-uv-sunstop-cycling-leg-cover/p/22818/?colorCode=white

1 Like

I use sun sleeves in addition to sunblock. Since my arms are also exposed while driving they are more susceptible to sun burn. As someone mentioned earlier, sun sleeves also have a cooling affect when you wet them.

Same here. Although I use the Shimano ones. I put them on to cool down during Japan’s hot and muggy summers. They have to be very white and clean though.

Yes, Have had multiple cancers removed from my arms. Now never go without covering. Was riding in the Central Valley of CA, and not being heat acclimated (live in norther WA state), was quite hot. Kept them on though.

1 Like