Ramp Test TSS Query

Why is the TSS from a ramp test calculated based on your original FTP and not your new FTP?

Considering you have literally just proved, during the workout, that your FTP has changed, surely the most realistic TSS would be calculated using the new FTP value?

And what about the Last workout before the ramp test? Was it performed with the old ftp? Or with the new one? Or with something in between? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

The TSS result you’ll see from your Ramp Test and newly accepted FTP is based upon said new FTP value, as that’s the most accurate representation of your current fitness level. :v:

3 Likes

Can you expand upon this?

Why bother? If you want to push the numbers just simply do the workouts by feel and up the percentage. If 90% feels too easy increase the intensity you will get higher TSS and CTL. These two are only values to roughly describe your training and should be looked in a wider context in my opinion.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! I’ll pass it along to the product team. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I do not think that micromanaging FTP is way to go, too much hassle and no reward other than numbers in line with some general suggestions. If you want to push harder, push harder. If the jump is really big, simply change the FTP value in settings if you want to micromanage. Of you can do proper long threshold workout every two weeks to test your FTP.

This seems like something they could fold into adaptive training too, since it will have some way of constantly updating your analyzed FTP.

1 Like

I think my confusion misunderstanding stemmed from looking at my ramp test ride file.
In that it shows my FTP as being the old FTP and if I change the FTP number used to the new FTP number then the TSS value changes. To me that suggested it was based on the old FTP number.

I’m guessing there is some technical wizardry and calculation hidden which means it isn’t quite that simple.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.