Ramp Test Auto-Stop Issue

I just did my ramp test and finished step 13 and had to stop halfway through step 14. However, looking at the results it shows average watt of my last step way lower than it actually was and I suspect it is due to the fact that it takes into account some zero watts for a few seconds and just before the auto-stop sign appears on the screen. Attached, you can see there are zero watts, yellow line, was included in the final step and thus the average is way lower.

Hey Amir!

The few seconds that pass before the auto-pause kicks in is not an issue that will affect the accuracy of the test :slight_smile:. It may affect your individual interval averages, but to find your FTP we take your max one-minute average power from the test to determine your score.

If you want to see what that looks like:

1. Click “Analyze Ride”.
  2. Scroll down to the personal records section.
  3. The red line signifies the data from your RAMP test
  4. Highlight the “1 min” data point and this is your max one minute power for the test

This is then multiplied by 0.75 to determine your FTP. There is some correction factor applied as well, but that’s the basic formula.

I hope this clears things up, let me know if you have any further questions!

2 Likes

1. How does TrainerRoad calculate my FTP from the Ramp Test?

We take 75% of your best one-minute power. If you are above target for the final minute, the app will reduce your result by a small amount. It’s important to follow the target power closely as you progress through your test.

You’re correct that your last interval was higher than 276 but that doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply @Bryce and @SamMose. This was the answer I was looking for. So I should have sticked with the target power just before hitting the complete exhaustion, apparently. Also, in the FAQ, it mentioned that it is based on the best 1min effort, not the last min effort.

Seeing 278 average, I thought it has taken into account the zeros as well into the final minute to estimate FTP.