Ramp test auto boost?

Guys, just today I did a ramp test and something
strange happened. When entering a higher step, the power reading got a 20-30 watts boost even tough i was still applying the same power on the pedals.

To be honest, and i think i’m perceving this clearly enough, i have been noticing on my regular workouts even if faintly, that when a interval starts, there is a kind of mini auto boost.

Someome else also feeling this?

1 Like

Without knowing your precise trainer, power meter, gearing and seeing the actual test data, it’s impossible to say.

I’d suggest an email to support@trainerroad.com so they can review your test and all the data that we can’t even access here.

Not sure if this is what you are describing, but it’s pretty common for folks to overshoot the target at the beginning of an interval. Your response to increased resistance is increased force and even smooth riders can exceed the target before erg pulls them back down to the target. With practice and attention you can smooth this out some, but it’s hard to eliminate completely on very dramatic changes.

2 Likes

TR does this at the start of intervals for me as well. Same cadence, same gear, interval starts and my smoothed power jumps seemingly at random, either higher or lower by 20-50ish watts. Not just ramp tests, all intervals. Does it with erg on or off, and on two different trainers. I see this during the workout, but it doesn’t seem to show up when I look at it afterwards, so it doesn’t seem to affect the average power of the interval.

Ok, will do some tests next thursday. I have a garmin vector 3 BTW. And use TR on a Oneplus 5T. ANT mode.

Oh, and for a 8 sec power average, the power numbers do move a lot. Something going on i say.

Yes, what you say totally makes sense. And in fact, it happens to me. However today that was not the case. Again, i’ll test more in 2 days.

Yes, sometimes my power readings also drop strangely sometimes not just on intervals starts. I have read somewhere that 2.4Ghz wireless networks might interfere with ANT(1). And on my case i have 2 phones on 2.4Ghz, plus bluetooth turned on on both as well. One for TR and the other for music. I’ll try turn off bluetooth on the TR phone. Maybe ANT will work with just Location on?

But i don’t remember having such problems with a Garmin 530 in the past year while doing intervals.

(1) - How to Fix ANT+ Dropouts in Zwift | Zwift Insider

EDIT: Apologies for the multiple post. Next time, i’ll quote everyone on the same one.
EDIT: Link for the 2.4Ghz interference with ANT.

Did the first steps on ramp test and a complete Fang Mountain -3. On both, there were drops and boosts when changing intervals. Not on every interval, but some were there for sure. One time, power increased as much as 15 watts. Despite me applying the same wattage, same gear, cadence, etc.

Something funky going on. Am i the only one experiencing this? I have the update from 15th February.

Have you contacted TR support like I mentioned above?

Other than that, it’s hard to say without specific info like seeing a link to one of your rides or good screen shots with the power and cadence visible. Some amount of over/under is totally to be expected depending on a range of factors.

2 Likes

While we definitely want to foster discussion between athletes about their experience in training with AT and Progression Levels, the forum isnt the best spot to get to the bottom of an issue like this.
That’s best suited for a support inquiry, as they have the most accurate visibility to the full scope of your devices, workouts, Ramp Test ride logs, etc.

From the ‘Welcome to the TrainerRoad Forum’ Page:
Have a question about the app, your training plan, or device? Reach out to support@trainerroad.com instead of posting here. Our support team has the best visibility and insight into your devices, workouts and adaptations, and will help get you the most efficient and effective answer to your question.

2 Likes