Question about protein that increase as calories increase

1.6-2g per kg of LBM (body weight - bone - body fat) is a general guideline for athletes during moderate training. Example: I’m 156+15% body fat with 7 pounds of bone, so my LBM would be 126lbs/57kg. So I would usually shoot for >105g of protein if I am running a normal/non-calorie restricted diet.

If I am on a calorie restricted diet, that recommendation moves up to 2.3g/kg, so I would shoot for 130g. Not significantly more than normal, and definitely reachable with a normal diet.

1 Like

20g seems to be at odds with what the guy says on the video above. Do you have any links to where you got that information?

to be honest, it was just what I was always told, butthis study actually says 25g… hmm maybe 30 is possible.

this is a few years old but says 25-35g…interesting! Thanks for pointing this out @carytb

Thanks for the link to the study. I’ve had a quick scan through it (although i start loosing the will to live if I try and read it properly). It would appear that this study implies anything from .25g/kg per meal (4 meals) to .55g/kg per meal. A big range. For me at 89kg that gives between 22g and almost 50g per meal the upper end is 200g protein a day which is A LOT. In short I think it depends on so many variables it’s almost impossible to give a concrete answer. What surprised me about the video was that he never mentioned the weight of the person - something that everyone else says is important - perhaps he was just talking about an average Canadian/American but he was very emphatic about the 30g at a time figure.

1 Like

so the person’s weight matters for the TOTAL over the 24 hours of a day, but I believe independent of weight is the 20 (or 30g) that can actually be absorbed for repairing someone’s muscles. I’ll split the difference and do 25 an hr for the 2 hours after and then resume eating a balanced diet. Sound good to you as well? Thanks again for the input!

1 Like

I kind of boiled it down to 30 grams of protein per meal to meet the threshold. It’s easy to do that when your doing a low carb diet anyways. Again, if I understood his message about breakfast and meeting the spike in leucine for muscle building throughout the day, it’s a very important meal. It’s very easy to set up a meal plan to meet and exceed based on 30 grams of protein per meal. As mentioned, anything above that kind of becomes fuel if you want to call it that. That’s my translation.

As far as a baseline for what you need based on weight, activity, etc is all up to you. I personally like the 1 gram of protein per pound (I’ll stick to that cause my conversion from pounds to kilograms just doesn’t work and confuses people)

1 Like

THIS :arrow_up:

Do not confuse how much one needs per day with how much one can absorb per meal or unit of time.

1 Like

From a report published today by IAAF: International Association of Athletics Federations Consensus Statement 2019: Nutrition for Athletics in: International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism Volume 29 Issue 2 (2019)

Under “Protein Needs for Adaptation and Physical Maniuplation”

"High quality protein-rich foods (high in leucine), when consumed in amounts equivalent to ∼0.3–0.4 g/kg of rapidly digested protein at four to five eating occasions per day, can optimize the training response in Athletes with optimal energy availability. This target probably should be increased to 0.4–0.5 g/kg in the case of mixed meals that slow the protein digestion/absorption kinetics and scenarios of energy deficit/weight loss in which rates of muscle protein synthesis are suppressed.

Overall, dietary protein intakes of 1.3–1.7 g·kg·day represent optimal targets for the physique
and adaptation goals of weight-stable Athletes. Meanwhile, Athletes who wish to achieve effective weight loss, which promotes the retention or even an increase in lean mass, are advised to engage in resistance exercise and to consume dietary protein in quantities of 1.6–2.4 g/kg."

2 Likes

Thanks, reconfirming my 200g target with a starting weight of 98kg and a 8-12 month goal of taking it down to 86kg.

think I’ve gone full circle over night. I’m back at the what isn’t broke, don’t fix it. I’ve gone from 78.2 kg body weight when I started trainerroad last August down to 73.6 body weight. I consume over three meals around 165 to 170 grams of protein. I’m happy where it’s at. I was just rethinking everything as I wanted to rethink joint supplements, which turned on the light bulb, am I getting enough protein, etc. I’ve been using myfitnesspal for over five years. I’ve balanced my diet on a curve that is affected by how much exercise is done. I’ve been told it’s not the way to do it, set a static diet but my diet has been dynamic and has worked for me. I’ve cut carbs which some say not to do when you want to do endurance cycling but my performance has continued to increase, I’ve dropped weight, I feel better and until something changes, I probably won’t change it. I will probably try a multi-vitamin, joint supplement and leave it at that. There has been a lot of good and interesting information, I appreciate the input.

I am not a physiology expert, but does it matter that the exercises in the study were load bearing activities? I would assume that load bearing and strength increasing exercises --the initial study and the referenced study within the article for the protein suggestion section (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Scott_Brown12/publication/257350851_A_Systematic_Review_of_Dietary_Protein_During_Caloric_Restriction_in_Resistance_Trained_Lean_Athletes_A_Case_for_Higher_Intakes/links/0f31753bc6ad63f47f000000.pdf) – have different protein requirements than non-load bearing aerobic activities like cycling.

Coming from a T&F background I can attest to the load bearing nature of all areas of the sport including distance running (although I was a field athlete).

It doesn’t really matter to me either way, but I am curious now since I have always heard about half the recommended dose for cycling and I believe @chad mentioned it during the podcast once or twice

My understanding is that any proteins that cannot be absorbed get converted and stored as fat or glucose (depending on how much your body needs for fuel).

So, with the wide range of what I’m seeing in the posted studies, 50g per hour at the absolute highest absorbsion rate (I suspect during or before intense activity) and everything above that would be stored as fat, right?

It probably matters to a certain degree. My N=1 experience has been that I’ve been able to reduce my body fat significantly while retaining/building muscle and increasing my FTP by staying in the 1.5-2g/kg range for protein, and adding in carbs strategically around workouts.

I’m down 50 pounds, FTP is up almost 100w, and body fat is probably in the 12-13% range via Dexa.

3 Likes

This is technically true in a vacuum, but unlikely in practice if you are running a small calorie deficit and/or training regularly.

1 Like

I believe you’re thinking of carbs. Protein doesn’t get processed that way, if you eat more than your body needs the rest gets excreted.

1 Like

Tumeric is what you want if you are looking at joint supplements. I personally like this tumeric/omega oil concoction and have noticed significant improvement even when I take it less than the recommneded three times a day. Omega Sport+®

Here’s what a quick search revealed. https://www.ideafit.com/answers/is-excess-protein-converted-and-stored-as-body-fat

awesome work, congrats!

Yeah, I believe any excess is just removed by the kidneys. That’s why they say eating excess protein is just throwing good money away. I have read however that excess protein can also cause kidney damage. To what extent and whether it’s true or not I’ve no idea. It’s just what I’ve previously read.

If that were the case, I should just eat any excess calories in the form of protein and I wouldn’t gain any weight :grin:

I’m not a nutritionist, BUUUUUUUUUUUT, my understanding of the way our bodies process macros is that your body can only absorb so many grams per hour of each. Any excess beyond what your body needs in the short term immediately begins the process of conversion to storage as fat. If the body then requires energy and only after it depletes glycogen stores, it THEN dips into the fat stores to convert BACK to glucose for fuel. If you consume too many grams of carbs, fats or proteins beyond what your body needs in the short term, it converts to fat as storage.