PSA/Request for GoPro users during races

For those that use a GoPro/ action cam during races upload the entire video to YouTube. It’s free and relatively easy, Just throw the date, race location and category in the title/ tags. Then anyone who was in the race could piece together a few clips of them racing. There is software to download YouTube videos and edit video into the interesting parts. If several people upload it would give even more options for creating a video even if you had your own camera on the bike. In fact, the best footage of you racing is probably someone else’s camera.

Just throw a disclaimer in the description. Like - Please feel free to use and remix this footage for any noncommercial purposes. With attribution/ attribution not necessary.

Good idea? thoughts?

Edit - I’m think mainly of Crits and shorter races, longer races are probably not practical.

~ Jim

4 Likes

I’ve used gopro footage of out of town races to preview race courses a few times and I’ll just point out that on many (most?) courses the course races different and the racing plays out differently depending on what class is racing or where you are in the field.

So, just because a guy who podiumed in the P12 race has put up his kick ass video, don’t sell yourself short. The on board video of your mid pack finish in the cat 4 or masters race will still be of great use to others!

3 Likes

100% this. I regularly use videos to recon XC courses.

Totally didn’t think of the race recon aspect and of course no matter what your fitness level there are plenty of people in the same range. Could also be trainer inspiration for a race someone plans on doing.

Processing the videos takes hours on my older computer. I also spent a lot more time than I expected getting them together but now that I have it down I think it will only be 5 minutes of work and a couple times of leaving my computer alone for an hour plus to process.

I’ve recorded every race I’ve done (XCO) since my very first race as a beginner. I have uploaded each entire race to YouTube.

5 Likes

I’ve watched a heap of them. Top notch.

• How do you mount your camera/s?
  • What type of cameras and mounts would you recommend?
  • How do you keep up the charge on longer events?
  • How are you adding graphics to your vids? ( I already know, so not for my benefit).

I picked up a 360 Fly camera a while back for doing walk throughs on my work projects. It cost me next to nothing along with a Virb camera.
I’d really like to throw them both onboard, but haven’t been motivated enough to start recording rides again.
I’d love to see loads more videos shared. There’s a whole lot to be learned that can’t be described in words without the video.

1 Like

Sadly, onboard cameras are banned during anything British Cycling related. Applies across all disciplines - track, road, 'cross, MTB. Not sure about CTT regulated timetrials, but let’s face it, those aren’t exciting watching!

1.) I use GoPro Hero 7 Black for my forward facing and GoPro 6 for rear facing.
2.) I use a Chesty Mount facing forward and a saddle mount (under my seat attached to the rails) for a rear facing. I don’t use any gimbals as the GoPro 7’s hypersmooth does a great job at stabilization.
3.) Turning everything unnecessary off (wifi, beeps, voice commands, etc.) I can get 2 hours +/- of video at 1080p wide mode. Environment/weather seems to affect this by a few minutes either way.
4.) In an attempt to record longer events, I just bought the DigiPower Re-Fuel 9 Hour battery extension. Also a GoPro backpack to use instead of the Chesty Mount. Haven’t used it yet, so will have report back.
5.) I use Final Cut Pro X for video editing and Garmin VIRB for overlays. I make my thumbnails on Canva.

3 Likes

Did you end up going with the backpack? Seems like a lot of extra heat/weight for races…

I wear a USWE backpack for races that require more than 1 liter of water. I still use the chesty mount though, as the GoPro backpack mounts aren’t very good.

I misspoke above, I meant a GoPro backpack mount, and not an actual GoPro backpack.

I got it, makes sense. I’m running the USWE too. I like it but the chest strap and the GoPro chesty seem like they wouldn’t play well.

Thanks for the info

It’s not perfect but the chesty works going under the USWE straps. Once the race starts I’m not thinking about it anyways.

1 Like

If youtubes upload times were better this might be practical, but it can take forever for their uploader to get a 90min crit ready and fully uploaded.

It seems to vary for me but I usually just start it when I won’t be using my computer for a while.

I have been recording and posting most of my races. I have just done 2 crits and 2 CX races so far but the rest are BMX. My most recent crit was in Dahlonega, GA

Doesn’t USWE now make a GoPro mount for their harness?

https://www.uswe-sports.com/action-camera-harness

Actually, they do!

1 Like