Protein for weight loss

In obese individuals, 1.8g/kg/d is excessive, they should go with 2.3 g/kg LBM/d. For non-obese people, lean body mass does not influence the dose-response protein intake for protein synthesis and anabolic signaling. If you want to eat protein to feel more full, it appears that once you meet your protein requirements, eating additional protein doesn’t make you feel more full.

2 Likes

Sports nutritionists and researchers don’t need to provide guidelines for everybody between a 45kg small woman and a 150kg big guy with a lot of extra fat on his frame. In the end they are just guidelines. It has nothing to do with being inclusive or exclusive.

If you really want to do a deep deep dive into protein, sports and macronutrients I’d recommend this podcast:

It’s an older podcast but it’s a huge brain dump by two sports nutritionists.

One thing I took from it was that it takes a minimum of 20g of high quality protein to kick off muscle protein synthesis. The lysine sends a signal to the body to get it going. Their recommendation was a minimum of 3 times per day of a 20g dose of protein. They suggested that getting that to 4-5x per day might be the most beneficial.

They also suggested that, for example, eating carbs all day and then a giant steak in the evening also isn’t optimal compared to spacing out protein all day.

For a person carrying extra fat, maybe they should calculate from their ideal athlete body weight? Say you weight 100kg but ideally you would weigh 85kg. Just calculate your protein requirements from 85. Easy.

2 Likes

It is very easy to get lost in all the research and not see the big picture.
Most of these things only start to become important when you get to very low body fat%.
For most people that want to loose weight and have body fat >25%, you really don’t need to set an alarm clock in the middle of the night for optimal protein intake distribution, just eat less for a while.

3 Likes

I’m currently trying out this Lumen thing to try and lose weight. It seems to be a highish protein/varyiable carb diet. It has set my daily protein at 1.61g/kg body weight (142g/88kg) which is my scales are to be believed works out at just over 2g/kg lean weight.
The carb varies, I suspect ,to keep your body guessing and not get it used to the same amount of carb all the time and maintain your ability to utilise carb, It gives more carbs if you are working out and seems to use fat as the balancing bit to keep your calorific intake at the correct amount for small weekly weight loss. early days yet and too soon to say if it will work longer term, but I’ve lost 4kg since 2nd week Jan.

3 Likes