How to Lose Weight and Keep it Off with Dr. Kyle Pfaffenbach – Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast 463

// SHARE AND RATE THE PODCAST!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TrainerRoad
iTunes: ‎Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad on Apple Podcasts
Spotify: Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad | Podcast on Spotify
Google Podcasts: https://trainerroad.cc/google

// TOPICS COVERED
(0:00:00) Caloric Needs and Body Composition Management
(0:00:33) Viewer Question on how to lose weight and keep it off
(0:03:37) The Energy Availability approach explained
(0:23:32) Kyle’s take on diets
(0:32:00) The Menstrual Cycle and gender roles in dieting
(0:38:27) The challenges of nutrition studies
(0:39:16) Why gradual weight loss is best and how to do it
(0:43:38) The importance of consistency in diet
(0:49:47) Ideal protein, fat, and carbohydrate intake for cyclists
(0:56:55) Kyle’s protein balance perspective
(1:01:45) The importance of consistency in your training
(1:03:56) TrainerRoad’s groundbreaking new feature
(1:05:05) How sleep deprivation nullifies training
(1:11:55) How to learn from disappointing results

// RESOURCES MENTIONED

3 Likes

2h 36m :dizzy_face:

Kyle delivered again! Fantastic insight and knowledge.

18 Likes

Oh boy…another weight loss discussion.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ETA - in all seriousness, looking forward to listening to this one. Continue to struggle with shagging those last 3-5 lbs to get to “race weight”.

17 Likes

Fricking appreciated Kyle and Nate commenting on chasing the “cyclist look”. The guy that everyone strives to look like, super lean, muscular, but light with veins everywhere. Then a month ago it comes out that he’s on test and clen. Meanwhile Fred’s here on a 30%/day deficit and riding fasted trying to get to 8% BF, and faints into a faceful of asphalt.

Number one comment I still get on group rides is, “you don’t look like a cyclist”. Mi compa, what does a cyclist even look like homes? You don’t hear that nonsense in other sports, why cycling?

21 Likes

We just need to split weight loss between losing 5 lbs and 50 and the discussion will likely go better :rofl:

13 Likes

Excited to listen to this during my next trainer ride!

2 Likes

So Dr. Pfaffenbach states what the baseline for fat and protein is but he never states what the starting point for carbs is. 1.2 - 1.4g/kg of total mass for fat. 1.5-2g/kg for protein. Fuel your training with carbs. 60-120g/hour depending on intensity. But if he doesn’t look at total caloric intake what’s the baseline for carbohydrate intake? This isn’t explained. Or I missed it…

1 Like

I’m only half way through it, but it seems to me that he isn’t setting a baseline for carbs. He’s saying “these are the goals for protein and fat, and then fill in the rest with carbs as needed based on your requirements that day”.

17 Likes

Just finished listening. It’s actually only 1:18! It replays at the halfway mark.

8 Likes

Right. We know from a bunch of sources what the recommended requirements for carb intake are for fueling training. But if you don’t have training that day is your carb intake supposed to be 0? That’s not right. He also states that just meeting fat and protein requirements isn’t enough to meet your daily (caloric) needs. I can only assume it’s caloric needs because he says he doesn’t use calories as a metric but what else can he be talking about?

3 Likes

You would if people under 6’ could survive playing basketball, or tiny cyclist types like me could survive in football.

That said, a cyclist to me looks like someone who is sitting on a bicycle. Fiend of mine is a 230 or so pound prior Marine now Lineman (electrician). My GF is a 5’ tall 125 pound middle aged mom, both of them are cyclists :woman_shrugging:

Edit: of funny note, the big dude is a total roadie, the little girl loves descending technical and fast terrain on a mountain bike :rofl:

8 Likes

@Jonathan must have had a green light for the first 1h 18m and never saw the red light for the second 1h 18m :grinning:. I thought it was funny when Jonathan said he didn’t want to take up all the guest time and I thought wow, there is 2 hours to go :joy:.

4 Likes

Great info as always from Kyle, but it is tough to get thru having to listen to his constant and repeated interruptions / talking over the hosts. I know he’s a scientist and not a professional media personality, but if you’re gonna come on a podcast, you need to adapt your style to fit the medium.

2 Likes

I was hoping they’d get to question #3 :rofl:

7 Likes

Talk to runners, gymnasts, swimmers, dancers, et al.

16 Likes

Yeah, the “you don’t look like a…” is something I have seen and heard in MANY other sports besides cycling. All of them end up with some common phenotypes at the higher levels with a wider range when including the larger parts of the bell curve.

9 Likes

John “The Penguin” Bingham pretty much made a career out of writing about being a runner who doesn’t “fit the mold”.

3 Likes

I think the issue with statements like this is not that they are inaccurate, but that they are dismissive and insulting, whether they’re meant to be or not.

3 Likes