Pro/Elite training

This is why I can’t stand social media at times. Confirmation bias bubbles.

This short video is making its round. The usual suspects use it as proof that we have to run slow. Very slow. Because elite runners run slow, very slow, on their “slow days”. Non-elites should copy this because we are all stressed all the time and if we add stress from exercising we will become grumpy cross-fitters. And die at least 20 years earlier.

However, twitter is not good with context. And I guess the quest for confirmation bias does not help either.

The short clip is from a series of clips:

It’s just the pm recovery run after a pretty damn hard day. This is not a “slow day”.

I’m not disputing the fact that running easy/slower/steadily longish is important. I just can’t stand when educated folks paint a truth according to their belief system.

4 Likes

At least we are past the barefoot running years. Dudes tip-toeing around in 5-finger boat shoes because African runners run barefoot.

Fast forward 10 years and now we have a “shoe change” mid session. And the greatest runner in the world gets to wear whatever he wants.

3 Likes

Coggan tweeted this a few weeks ago:

https://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol13/rushall7.htm

Interesting coaching perspective from 1994.

2 Likes

I can see a renaissance, we just have to post the Norwegians wear them (and ignore that it is “just” the coach … but I’d say context is too complicated for Twitter & co anyway)

1 Like

Can’t believe I missed it first time round. But one of the photos he posted has his lap screen with 2 45min intervals @292w and 290w, and a lactate pro 2 reading of 1.8. …LT1??

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdOBlRJND-L/?hl=en

1 Like

and a comment from Inigo

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! This is soooo tempo, pure tempo. As pointed out before, there are similarities to Kwiatkowski after his drop out from the stage race due to illness. Endurance plus some tempo for the initial return. Then some intensity on top of it. The way I understand it TGH returned from illness, too.

Perhaps interesting:

10 Likes

I actually plan on doing that test after my last A race when I should be in top shape! Super curious just to see what I get.

2 Likes

This almost looks like the 4ADP or whatever Sufferfest had. It’s a power curve filler upper?

That’s their assessment protocol for prospective riders, specifically amateurs without significant race records. Several world tour teams use the CP model. I wouldn’t call it a curve filler.

1 Like

Definately interesting! This seems pretty well-rounded but also fairly easily repeatable. I’d love to know how Bora’s pros perform on this.

1 Like

The part I like the most is the 8min @ FTP by feeling coupled with the 10min max power.

I don’t have the link to it, but Pinkbike put up an article on Vlad Dasculu’s ride for the Albsadt WC. Some of the numbers are insane. In particular, his normalized power was 409w and he hit 1300w of the start line. In fact he did three 1000w+ efforts in the first minute of the race. Blows my mind.

Kwiatkowski, since May 9th on Mt Teide. As with the triathletes, a fairly long time with endurance only to get used to the altitude (my guess). Slowly introducing “stuff”, step by step. Still surprised that he shares his power data.

1 Like

What difference does it make to him?

and slowly pushing power up from around 220 to 270.

In contrast to all the other teams Sky/Ineos have always been more secretive with their power data. That’s why I’m surprised. I think he’s currently the only rider from Ineos showing the data. Bernal used to show (some of) his data in the past. However, not for all periods. Richie Porte used to show his data but stopped doing it when transferring to Ineos. If I remember correctly. That’s why I’m wondering if there isn’t a team order not to show the data. I’ve heard several times that not everyone is happy with showing all of the data.

2 Likes

MK’s last week on Mt Teide

2 Likes

A mix of intensities and interval types